Strange 6890 GC issue

Hi everyone

I have a strange issue to report.

We are using a 6890GC with FID and TCD that was upgraded many years ago to give use LAN communication rather than GPIB. It works great even though it is over 20 years old.

Just prior to Christmas we installed the latest GC drivers (3.1) and we have been running OpenLab Chemstation Edition (C.01.07 SR3) for a while on Windows 10.

The first week back my labs worked well - we are a teaching institution but the second week things started to go wrong

I did an injection using the inlet connected to the FID and although I could see the signal on the online plot, the signal (Signal 1) wasn't saved. The data file .d directory had been created but there was no signal stored.

After much trial and error I found that if I saved the FID signal under signal 2, then the signal was saved okay and I could access the data as normal.

To confirm things I tried saving the TCD signal as signal 1 and again I could see the online plot but nothing was saved. When saving the TCD signal as signal 2, the signal was saved.

I have tried using many different methods including default.m and the behavior seems consistent in that signal 1 is not being saved even though it is checked for saving. I have also rebooted the computer and GC many times

As far as I know nothing was done to the GC and computer between the week that things worked and the week that things went wrong.

Any ideas?

We can use the GC with signal 2 instead of signal 1 being selected but it would be nice to know what happened

Kevin

• This sounds interesting. I wonder if it could be some type of method corruption. I would be curious if you had different behavior of you created a new method from default if it would behave the same way.

• Hi!

I had the same problem, and tried the old IT-crowd approach (have you tried switch it off and on again) a couple of times.. that did not save the measurements properly, so i ran the software as 'admin' - no success.

I created a new method from scratch, and chose a new subdirectory (we had problems with directories, that were too long to process) for the single run - worked for 1 run, and after i optimized the method it didnt save the aquisition data again...

So I created a new method file again, from the default method, with all of the optimized parameters - and it is now working.. i think if you save the method too many times, and there is too much in the audit trail, it will not work...

thanks to wetuski

and good luck to Kevin

Was this helpful?