New to GC FID

Hi

I am new to GC Method development phase. We are having GC 7820 A with FID detector. Currently I am developing a method for industrial solvents. When I run a blank (THF), I got a very unusual spikes in the chromatogram as seen below. I have changed the inlet, septum and checked the gold seal which looks good and trimmed the column in the inlet end. Any suggestion would be of great help

Thanks

Revathy

Parents
  • Hello, spikes like that are usually coming from the detector, you can try what happen if you "tic" with a screw on a fid jokin, don't do that

In my lab we don't bother about noise like the one you show us in the picture, cause we set the signal windows between 0 and 50.

But if you need super flat baseline without spikes like that I suggest you to perform manteinance on the fid, especially installing the column perfectly.

Apart from the detector spikes, and to be picky, I would check also the gas purity and the inline carrier filters, because a 10 pA baseline is pretty high for our standard (we have a 3/4 pA baseline at oven 70°C)

• Hello, spikes like that are usually coming from the detector, you can try what happen if you "tic" with a screw on a fid jokin, don't do that

In my lab we don't bother about noise like the one you show us in the picture, cause we set the signal windows between 0 and 50.

But if you need super flat baseline without spikes like that I suggest you to perform manteinance on the fid, especially installing the column perfectly.

Apart from the detector spikes, and to be picky, I would check also the gas purity and the inline carrier filters, because a 10 pA baseline is pretty high for our standard (we have a 3/4 pA baseline at oven 70°C)

Children
Was this helpful?