New to GC FID

Hi

I am new to GC Method development phase. We are having GC 7820 A with FID detector. Currently I am developing a method for industrial solvents. When I run a blank (THF), I got a very unusual spikes in the chromatogram as seen below. I have changed the inlet, septum and checked the gold seal which looks good and trimmed the column in the inlet end. Any suggestion would be of great help

Thanks

Revathy

Parents
  • Hi Revathy,

These are electronic noise spikes. Typically when you see a sharp spike with no area under the peak/ spike this is from the fid or fid electronics. The fid collector has a spring connection for the signal to the electrometer and dirt or corrosion can cause spikes like you are seeing. I would suggest taking the FID apart and cleaning the collector assy and changing the jet as a first step. I have attached a section from the 7890 manual that covers FID maintenance. The procedures in the manual apply to other Agilent GC models as well as the FID assemblies are all similar. I hope this helps.

Regards

James

• Hi Revathy,

These are electronic noise spikes. Typically when you see a sharp spike with no area under the peak/ spike this is from the fid or fid electronics. The fid collector has a spring connection for the signal to the electrometer and dirt or corrosion can cause spikes like you are seeing. I would suggest taking the FID apart and cleaning the collector assy and changing the jet as a first step. I have attached a section from the 7890 manual that covers FID maintenance. The procedures in the manual apply to other Agilent GC models as well as the FID assemblies are all similar. I hope this helps.

Regards

James

Children
Was this helpful?