This Information Applies To: Agilent 5975 and 5977 Series GC/MSD
For some GC/MSD maintenance or repair asks, it is required to open the side plate (filament exchange, ion source cleaning, electron multiplier exchange, column installation).
This article describes how to open the side plate, or what to do when the side plate cannot be opened.
Steps to follow:
1. Vent the system, see: How To Vent (Shut Down) the GC/MSD - EI - MassHunter
2. Remove the analyzer covers (see Figure 1).
3. Disconnect the side board control cable and source power cable from the side panel. See the location of the cables in Figure 2.
4. Loosen the analyzer side plate thumbscrews if they are fastened. See the location of the cables in Figure 2.
5. To open the analyzer, gently swing the side plate out. See Figure 3 for a short video on steps 3 to 5.
When the instrument is vented and turned off, the side plate is not easy to pull apart. Remember to open the vent valve to equilibrate the pressure. After some time to allow the analyzer chamber to equilibrate, the side plate should be easily opened. If you still cannot open it in a reasonable time, you can carefully pry it from the lower right side of the side panel with a tool such as a flat screwdriver from the location shown in Figure 4.
Caution: Be careful not to damage or gouge the side plate and sealing ring when inserting tool. Only use this method as a last resort after trying all other suggestions mentioned in this article.
Learn how to effectively operate and troubleshoot your Agilent 5977 Series GC/MSD:
Agilent 5977 GC/MSD with MassHunter Workstation e-learning path available from Agilent education.
GCMS-5977-1270r - Agilent 5977B GC/MSD Diagnostics and Troubleshooting e-learning course available from Agilent education.