OpenLab - Compound_CalibAmount in table but displayed for sample not for calibration standard

Hello 

Is there any way that I can calculate automatically %diff between concentration for sample and calibration standard (for the same compounds)? At the moment I can display %diff for calibration standard but I want to do it for sample - I'd like to check how close real value (from sample) is to calibration standard concentration. It is quite useful to check if calibration curve still works.

Once I change sample type to SAMPLE, % diff is not calculated anymore. And if I change sample type to CAL it is updating calibration level which is affecting final result.

Alternatively: is there any way that I can display specific Cal Level concentrations in customized table? (see below)

Thanks

Regards

Tom

• You can set up this calculation with IR or a CC file, but you have to make sure you are using the right fields and your bracketing mode is right for the calibration. If you test the fields in IR you can find the one that automatically calculates concentrations of compounds off calibration curves. Just note that it will only work if the samples are after the curve or you set the bracketing mode to overall (or similar). Then just divide by the input concentration and multiply by 100.

• Thanks, but you didn't understand.

Bracketing has nothing to do it with that - I want to run sample and check results against std concentrations. All I need is to display STD concentrations in table for each compound.

Tom

• Which STD concentration? You have six different levels here. If you want to show all of them in a separate table, you can use a default calibration table and plot in a report. If you want them in the same table, then you need to make a separate custom field that connects the sample to the right calibration level unless the prepared sample concentration is input as exactly the same as the corresponding level concentration.

Can you do a sketch of what you want exactly? It would help me understand what you are trying to achieve.

• I want to have report for SAMPLE in which I will be able to display STD concentrations for relevant compounds - those that you put in processing method.

But I want to do it only based on processing method that it is used to process sample - in the sequence there will be no STD. I will use saved processing method to analyse SAMPLE.

I hope it is clear.

Thanks

Tom

• That's slightly problematic. I know that the system stores the calibration of compounds because if you don't clear calibration the new one will include old data, but I'm not sure if it will properly apply to samples if there are no calibration standards within the sequence.You can attempt to find out if it is calculating concentrations still by referencing the compound concentration fields. If it is, that would allow you to calculate the accuracy of the calibration being used at least, though without the STD concentrations being stated.

Further, in IR all the lines in the data relate to specific samples, so having no samples that are calibration standards will probably make it impossible to reach STD concentrations unless you find a way to directly access the processing method information from within the reports, which I've never attempted and I don't recall any obvious ways to do that.You can get some very basic information like processing method name and date, but I've not seen a way to get much further than that.

However, you can always create a new data set that includes the calibration data you are attempting to calculate off of. Alternatively, you can just load up both the calibration sequence and the sequence you are looking at and run them both through a cross-sequence report.

I will note that there is a good reason that calibrations are generally done within the same sequence though. You may never know when the instrument craps out on you and in an assay that is done over and over again you can encounter drift. For this reason, it's safer documentation-wise to always include your calibration in the same sequence. It makes justifying your measurements much easier for regulatory bodies. How are they to know that you don't have 10 different calibration sequences you are picking from to get the results you want?

• I will note that there is a good reason that calibrations are generally done within the same sequence though. You may never know when the instrument craps out on you and in an assay that is done over and over again you can encounter drift. For this reason, it's safer documentation-wise to always include your calibration in the same sequence. It makes justifying your measurements much easier for regulatory bodies. How are they to know that you don't have 10 different calibration sequences you are picking from to get the results you want?

Sometimes STD preparation is quite time consuming. Running control sample against saved calibration curve is quick check how "good" calibration is and if it still shows acceptable result for control sample (for that I will use saved processing method). Therefore I will run sequence with sample only (which technically is the same concentration level as one of the std used for calibration curve preparation) and I will check sample result against specific std level (which has the same concentration). So I will need somehow to have in table results real STD concentration, so I can compare results. The only way to do it is to have concentrations from processing method.

Believe me - I', doing it routinely in excel but I was hoping to do it in OL Slight smile

Thanks

TOm

Was this helpful?