OpenLab Chemstation communication with instrument problems

Hello Agilent,

I just installed Openlab Chemstation version C.01.07 sR4 [505] in a Windows 7 computer. The IP address for the computer LAN card is 10.1.1.1.101 (SN = 255.255.255.0, GW = 10.1.1.1.100). I was able to configure:

6890 (IP = 10.1.1.105, SN = 255.255.255.0, GW = 10.1.1.1.100, Firmware Revision A.03.8, Software  Version 6.37 [006]) 

6850 (IP = 10.1.1.104, SN = 255.255.255.0, GW = 10.1.1.1.100, Firmware Revision A.06.02, Software Version 6.37 [006]) 

Using CMD I can ping both instruments without a problem. I was able to configure them with Openlab Control panel, as the system shows the instrument information under the configuration tab, (Serial Number, Firmware revision, software version, type of detectors, injectors, etc), please see attachment. The problem is that when launching Chemstation, the instrument shows as NOT READY and the instrument actuals window indicates that the Instrument is OFFLINE, and it does not communicate (yes I'm clicking launch not launch offline). We doubled checked with our IS department and they assured me it is not Firewall related.

Please help.

Parents
  • Hello,

I added tags to this post to increase visibility. 

If you are able to ping the instruments from the workstation PC, then that shows that low level communication is possible. It just does not seem like the GC driver can establish a lasting connection with the instruments. The firmware on your instruments is up to date, so that should not be the issue. 

How are you connecting to the instruments from the PC? Are you going through your site network or is this a direct connection? Since you have two instruments, I am guess that you are using a hub or a switch to connect to them both. If that is the case, have you tried connecting one of the instruments to the PC directly with a crossover cable to see if the instrument still comes up as offline? 

Have you tried configuring everything with no gateway specified (GW: 0.0.0.0)? If you are directly connecting to the instruments then there should not be a need for a GW. 

It does not hurt to doublecheck that the firewall is set up according to the requirements documentation as well. This information can be found starting on page 29 of the below linked manual:

https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/usermanuals/Public/CDS_requirements_A0202SR2.pdf

• Hello,

I added tags to this post to increase visibility. 

If you are able to ping the instruments from the workstation PC, then that shows that low level communication is possible. It just does not seem like the GC driver can establish a lasting connection with the instruments. The firmware on your instruments is up to date, so that should not be the issue. 

How are you connecting to the instruments from the PC? Are you going through your site network or is this a direct connection? Since you have two instruments, I am guess that you are using a hub or a switch to connect to them both. If that is the case, have you tried connecting one of the instruments to the PC directly with a crossover cable to see if the instrument still comes up as offline? 

Have you tried configuring everything with no gateway specified (GW: 0.0.0.0)? If you are directly connecting to the instruments then there should not be a need for a GW. 

It does not hurt to doublecheck that the firewall is set up according to the requirements documentation as well. This information can be found starting on page 29 of the below linked manual:

https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/usermanuals/Public/CDS_requirements_A0202SR2.pdf

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?