MassHunter 4.5 communication error with 7700x

#I am currently battling with MH 4.5 and a generic communication error that has cascaded into me not being able to bring the 7700x into “shutdown” mode for ~6 weeks now. I have had numerous calls with tech support and all suggestions have failed to this point. I am hoping someone has encountered something similar and may be of some help from the software side. I’ll try to be informative yet succinct.

Instrument setup

-Agilent 7700x  connected to a Laser Ablation system

-MH 4.5 Workstation software for 7700 ICP-MS G7201C v. C.01.05 Build 588.3

-Purchased as PC Bundle (HP z240)

-Ethernet connection from PC to 7700x directly

Communication Error first encountered:

MH worked perfectly collecting data for ~4 weeks straight in June after a lengthy (~8 week) shutdown due to pandemic. I was running a standard laser ablation run and had the plasma unexpectedly shutoff ~25 minutes into a ~2 hour run. I attempted the same run 2 more times that day and had the same issue ~28 and ~25 minutes into each run, respectively. The only error message to pop up was in the “Queue” tab reading “Communication error with ICP-MS occurded (sp). Retry operation or reboot MassHunter Workstation.” As I looked in the error log, nothing appeared for the time for any of these plasma shutdown.

I did find the following errors from 1.5 months earlier while I was still at home with the shutdown:

310.”({MON}): APG RCI minor error #219 occurred”

(followed by the next error that popped up every 2 seconds for many hours, (see 05-15-2020 in error log attached)

310.”({MON}): Timeout waiting for APG RCI ready.”

Not knowing what to think of the APG error, since a user had just collected weeks of flawless data after the error occurred, I then attempted to restart PC and try the same run again the next day. I still had the run stop ~20-30 minutes in after restarting PC and making an new batch file from scratch. I spoke with tech support and then attempted a power cycle of mass spec (at this point I turned off the vacuum and have not been able to get it back on successfully).

From here, I was told the APG (analytical products group) error from mid-May was likely a faulty SmartCard, so I purchased the recommended SmartCard 3.2 for 5977 e-module and switched it out. Upon SmartCard replacement, I still could not get proper communication. Pings of 192.168.1.127 work with the PC, but 192.168.1.128 with the 7700x has been intermittent with the old SmartCard and attempts with the new SmartCard return “Destination host unreachable.” I have searched the BootP log file to attempt to edit the MAC address and try to find the new SmartCard as it is not being found at 192.168.1.128, but the logfile is empty. It appears BootP isn’t working properly? Tech support did not know what to think of that.

FYI, a few disasters to note that have also occurred throughout this journey:

1) I put the old SmartCard back in after not being able to get the new SmartCard to communicate and the BootP issues. It could connect to MH, randomly, and I then could ping the mass spec during the spotty reconnect times. I was hoping that the firmware could be updated and potentially fix the issue. This pseudo-connection appears to be very unstable, likely the cause of the plasma to kick off mid-run?

2) With the pseudo-connection working on the old SmartCard, I attempted to get into “standby mode” by turning the vacuum on, but I heard the pump struggling to turn over for a few minutes and eventually MH went back from flashing grey to “shutdown” mode. My E2M18 roughing pump, which had been running flawlessly forever was now in need of repair (faulty motor relay, possibly from power spike? Seems very coincidental). I made sure the power supply from mass spec was giving appropriate power (~208V), it was, before shipping the pump off for repair. I also tested the pump via our UPS to see if it would turn over without MH and the 7700x supplying the power, it would not turn over.

4) I now have a new E2M18 pump after ~4 weeks of waiting and I still can’t get communication to take place with the new SmartCard. I put the old SmartCard back in and was able to communicate to turn the new pump on via MH, but after 3 minutes the pump shut off and MH again went back into “shutdown” mode. The same situation as with the old faulty pump, but this time the new pump was actually running the entire time and I was able to at least see pressure readings before it was forced back into "shutdown" mode.

I have uninstalled /reinstalled MH and still cannot connect to via instrument control or via set communication window. Perhaps, driver or firmware problems I’m missing? Other boards that could be the culprit? I have the PC setup with all of the correct settings from the install manual (updates off, IP settings are all correct, etc.). It seems that BootP is not actually performing it’s task.

Any thoughts on any of my issues is very appreciated. 

Thanks,

Joel

attachments.zip
  • hello joeldesormeau,

at the beginning I would like to point out: I have no experience with ICP-MS, so these are just some standard LAN troubleshooting ideas.

Send a ping command to designated IP address of the ICP-MS in Command Prompt. here:
    ping 192.168.1.128 -t
    and see for some minutes if there are some 'Request timed out'? (or if the ms value looks too high)

workaround ideas if you see timeouts:
       a) instead of direct LAN cable (Peer-to-Peer) use a switch (standalone, not connected to the company network) + standard LAN patch cable.
    OR
       b) change LAN Card settings: Change the network link speed from AUTO to 10 MB Full Duplex (Adaptors > Properties > Configure > Link Speed).

OR
       c) maybe install a new/addional LAN card (but this one can be tricky due low-profile LAN cards and Windows 10 priority handling of LAN cards!!)

other LAN ideas:
    1) if more than one LAN card is currently in use: remove the cable from the house network at the PC.
       This bypasses the prioritisation/binding of the LAN card, which cannot be changed so easily in Windows 10.

2) network settings:
       2a) hosts file file must be adjusted, see:
             hosts file: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
             page 41: https://community.agilent.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/7666-1-6498/Agilent+ICP-MS+MassHunter+4.4+Installation+Guide.pdf

2b) LAN card settings: WINS settings > LMHOSTS lookup: Enabled

3) Communication check with web browser: IP of the ICP (typically: 192.168.1.128)
          To check whether the basic communication is correct, enter the IP of the ICP-MS in the web browser.
          This knowledge comes from LC/GC Smartcards, so I am not sure if this really works at the ICP-MS.

Comment on the error: "- 310. "({MON}):..."
       1) this "-310" error reminds me of an outdated firmware on GCMS Smartcards. OR
       2) Power cycle the smardcard instrument, when instrument is used without power cycle for 50 days. This is caused by overflow of an Firmware internal timer in the SC3.2.

Questions about the equipment that may be needed by the Agilent colleagues:
       * PC

- Which Windows 10 is installed (e.g. 1909?)
          - which .NET version is installed?
          - how many PC LAN card are installed   

* smartcards:
          ~ which Agilent part number has the/all smartcard?
          ~ which Firmware version is installed

regards, M.

• Hello,

Thanks for your reply, I've worked through your suggestions. 

Attempts to ping ICP-MS via "192.168.1.128 -t" results in endless "destination host unreachable", I don't know at this point if ms value too high (pinging 192.168.1.127 is less than 1ms). I do not see "ping request timed out".

I attempted changing link speed, checked host file, WINS setting to enable lookup, and I still get no connection with ICPMS at 192.168.1.128.

I also read somewhere that the "- 310. "({MON}):..." error could be a timeout or firmware issue. I have power cycled many times now with the old smartcard, and the new smartcard, and still can not seem to reset either for communication. Is their a firmware update that I can download (and manually install?) to try and get the new SmartCard up to date with BootP/MassHunter? The only chance to update firmware version is when I attempt to communicate by going "online" with ICP via MassHunter "set communication" and the "check firmware version" box is checked. Unfortunately, I can never connect and I get a "ping request timed out, going offline" type message from MassHunter, so I'm in the dark as to the firmware status.

PC details (purchased as PC bundle from Agilent)

Windows 10 Pro (1703)

.NET version 4.7.03062; release (461814)

Single PC LAN Card installed

SmartCard 3.2 for 5977 e-module (G3170-61430); purchased after suggestion from tech support

Microsoft system firmware: driver version-10.0.15063.0 (don't know if this is what you are requesting)

Thank you so much for any further help!

Cheers,

Joel

• Hello Joel,

If a PING fails with an error (Destination Host Unreachable), then.....

... the communication with the system (here ICP) is not possible

... Masshunter does not need to be started

... the IP assignment via BootP did not work

... in the ping command maybe the wrong IP was entered (it must be the one that was assigned by bootP)

In the GC/LC sector, exchanging a smart card is not a classic action that customers should carry out. Therefore I recommend: please book a service visit with Agilent.

First Idea: 

maybe the new SmartCard has got a standard IP fixed by default, this is usually: 10.1.1.2
       To access this address from the PC, the Windows IP must be in the same subnet 10.1.1.x

Last ideas to see if the smartCard already got an IP or if bootP is activated/deactivated:

watch the powercylce process of the smartcard at the serial A port.

Site prep:

1) Windows must get a terminal SW. In former times: it was HyperTerminal. Since Windows 7, HyperTerminal is not included anymore.

2) special cable: MUST be aNull-Modem-cable. cable orientation: 9pin female connectors on both ends. A typical Agilent p/n will be G1530-60600

3) PC must have a free RS232 port

PC RS232/COM-port @ SmartCard: Serial A (outer position):

Terminal software: 9600,N,8,1

Smartcard: usually the port A is not visible: black cap on it

After all was connected & ICP was switched on:

in terminal software: scrolling display. After about 10s the desired entry is visible:

This is an example from an GCMS 597x: with fixed IP (here: 10.1.1.102), where BootP was disabled. With "Boop disabled." there is no chance to assign a an IP by BootP software.

regards, M.

• I have marked this question as Assumed Answered due to inactivity. Please let us know if you still need any help with this and we can pick it up from there

• Turns out the SmartCard shipped out by Agilent for 7700s are configured for GC instruments and not with a 7700 IP address. Service visit was required by Agilent to reconfigure the SmartCard IP to match the MassHunter config. Beware not to purchase one on your own in hopes of avoiding a service visit. Thanks for the replies!

Was this helpful?