Good evening, dear sir I want a device to test olive oil for fraud. What type of device do you recommend? and what the price for this machine ?

• Hello Muhummed,

For olive oil, you will need to look at spectroscopies that will give you a unique fingerprint based on the chemical structure of the different components present in your oil. Typically, Infrared and Raman spectroscopy can achieve good discrimination of genuine oil against adulterated oil. There are quite a few papers available online on this topic.

Here is an example: Applied Sciences | Free Full-Text | Portable through Bottle SORS for the Authentication of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (mdpi.com)

As far as instrumentation goes, your counterfeit program should establish the characteristics of the solution that is the most adapted to your needs. For example, does your program dictate the need for an at-the-point-of-need solution? i.e.: do you need to be able to verify whether a bottle of olive oil is counterfeited in a merchant's warehouse? In this case, a handheld or portable solution might be the most adapted.

From an Agilent perspective, I would recommend you look at the following solutions:

- the Vaya handheld Raman solution: Handheld Raman Spectrometer, ID Through Containers | Agilent

- the Agilent 4500 FTIR solution: 4500 Portable FTIR Spectrometer, Rugged Non-Lab Analyzer | Agilent

- the Agilent 5500 FTIR solution: Compact FTIR Spectrometer, At-side FTIR Analyzer | Agilent

- the Cary 630 FTIR solution: Flexible Benchtop FTIR Spectrometer, Cary 630 FTIR | Agilent

Please let me know if this helps. I am happy to answer any question you will have.

Cordially,

Frederic

• Good afternoon Frederic,

Thank you for your detailed response and valuable recommendations.

After careful consideration, I am particularly interested in the Vaya Handheld Raman Spectrometer for its portability and potential application in our on-the-go inspection needs. Additionally, I noticed the CARY 60 UV-Vis spectrometer used by another company and would like to inquire about its suitability for our purposes.

Could you please provide information on the pricing and availability of the following:

1. Vaya Handheld Raman Spectrometer
    2. CARY 60 UV-Vis Spectrometer

Furthermore, if you could offer insights into the differences between these two spectrometers and any specific advantages or features they may have for testing olive oil authenticity, that would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your response and appreciate your assistance in helping us make an informed decision.

Thank you ,

Muhummed

• Hello Muhummed,

I am unfortunately not in sales (I am actually in product management) and cannot quite answer your question regarding pricing for the Vaya Raman and the Cary 60 UV-Vis however you can consult our contact page to get connected with your local sales representative: Contact Us | Agilent. Our representative at your location will be able to assist you with this inquiry.

I will also make sure that the local team for your location knows of your post on the Agilent community site and follows up with you.

Please expect a few days before they reach out. They will be able to answer all of your questions in regards to difference between UV-Vis Spectroscopy and Raman spectroscopy as well as between the two spectrometers. 

Cordially,

Frederic

Was this helpful?