Photometric accuracy in UV/Vis

Hey guys,

I'm calibrating a UV/Vis, instrument model 8453, and I seem to consistently give varying results for the photometric accuracy test (with potassium dichromate).  The protocol requires it be done under 4 minutes.  My question is, why?  Is it unstable?  I'm concerned that the varying pass/fail results could be due to the readings not being done fast enough (?), even if it's under 4 minutes.

Thanks for any info!

B

• Hi B

We regularly do the photometric accuracy verification as part of teaching lab exercises. I am assuming that you are preparing the dichromate and blank solutions yourself. 

A few ideas ( apologies if you already done these)

• Make sure the lamps have been on at least 45 minutes as mentioned in the software
    • The two solutions should be prepared daily and matched such that the blank H2SO4 prepared is the same as that used to prepare the dichromate solution.
    • The dichromate needs to be known purity and the mass of dichromate entered in the software adjusted for the purity
    • Use the same cuvette for both measurements and use it in the same orientation
    • Most importantly, acclimatize the cuvette with at least 3 or 4 portions of your solution before measuring it.

You might also want to check that the deuterium lamp is still within specifications using the software

Hopefully this helps

kevin

Was this helpful?