Can my standards be in a different solvent than my samples?

My samples are typically in heptane and my standards are in either acetone/heptane, heptane, or methanol.  Would there be an effect on quantitation?  I am using a S/SL injector at 240C with a 10:1 split flow (hydrogen).  Thanks!

• The GC-MS was only used to know where my analyte (amylene) was during method development because, most of the time, it was hidden within the solvent peak. As my sample is dichloromethane (with some ppm of amylene), I tried to stay in its boiling and polarity range when choosing the solvent for the standards.

The method was then 'translated' for a GC-FID. Columns phase is HP-5.

So I was just trying to explain that solvent choice was not straightforward for this method. Maybe because the analyte is a small molecule with a low Bp (38ºC) within a solvent with similar Bp (39,6ºC). Furthermore, even with a lab conditioned at 23ºC, it's not easy to have a column temp below 28ºC when trying to condensate the sample in it.

So, as I said in another thread, I am still on the learning curve of GC and GC-MS and I appreciate all the insights.

Was this helpful?