Ferrules for a 0.18 mm capillary column

Hi all,

I'm using a 0.18 mm HP-5 GC Column on a Shimadzu GC-2014 connected with a FID. I'm looking to get new ferrules (the old ones had been passed down from previous users) and wanted to discuss some options. I tried using some 0.5 mm graphite ferrules, but despite tightening the ferrules as much as possible, they were still very loose on the column. Based on the ferrule finder quiz, 0.4 mm graphite ferrules seem like the best choice (part number 500-2114). Has anyone used these for a 0.18 mm column before? How has your experience been?

I also looked into the graphite/Vespel ferrules, such as part number 5181-3323, but since my maximum temperature for my method is 340 C, and my conditioning method goes up to 350 (briefly!), I think they might not be the best option given their temperature range.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Parents
  • Hi,

Not surprising that you couldn’t secure a 0.5mm ferrule on a 0.18mm column. The ferrule ID is just too wide. In general, 0.4mm ID ferrules can be used with 0.200 & 0.250 columns and 0.3mm ID ferrules with 0.100 columns. From that, I would think that PN 500-2114 is a good place to start for your application.

For the second part, I would stick with graphite ferrules since the method exceeds the G/V temperature range. It might not make a significant difference immediately, but over time would probably cause issues (bleed, leaks, etc.) faster than if you used the graphite ferrule.

Thanks

Jeff

• Hi,

Not surprising that you couldn’t secure a 0.5mm ferrule on a 0.18mm column. The ferrule ID is just too wide. In general, 0.4mm ID ferrules can be used with 0.200 & 0.250 columns and 0.3mm ID ferrules with 0.100 columns. From that, I would think that PN 500-2114 is a good place to start for your application.

For the second part, I would stick with graphite ferrules since the method exceeds the G/V temperature range. It might not make a significant difference immediately, but over time would probably cause issues (bleed, leaks, etc.) faster than if you used the graphite ferrule.

Thanks

Jeff

Children
Was this helpful?