Hi,

I would like to analyze the following components with GC-MS:

- Formic acid
- Formamide
- Acetic acid
- Dimethylformamide
- Trimethylamine
- Formaldehyde

I am using a HP-5 column, but I know that is not the best column to analyze formic acid and acetic acid. Does anyone know a good column to analyze all those components? I an Agilent J&W DB-624UI GC column a good choice?

Many thanks!

Parents
  • Hi Nipo,

If formaldehyde is involved, the best choice is an apolar column with a thick film (we do have a CP-Sil 5 CB for formaldehyde, if it is only about HCHO in water with other low boiling components, it's a 8 µm thick film). With some higher boiling components present a slightly thinner film could be beneficial. If no critical analytes are present, than any 624 column would also work and you can just check that with the appnote mentioned in the previous replies.

Regards,

Norbert

• Hi Nipo,

If formaldehyde is involved, the best choice is an apolar column with a thick film (we do have a CP-Sil 5 CB for formaldehyde, if it is only about HCHO in water with other low boiling components, it's a 8 µm thick film). With some higher boiling components present a slightly thinner film could be beneficial. If no critical analytes are present, than any 624 column would also work and you can just check that with the appnote mentioned in the previous replies.

Regards,

Norbert

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?