Is Hypersil AA-ODS 79916AA-572 column actually an (AC) column?

Hi, everyone!

Is Hypersil AA-ODS 79916AA-572 column actually an (AC) column?

I can see on a web site it is:

If it is I should use in-column-hardware-fit guard cartridges 7992618-504 Hypersil ODS, 5 µm, 4 x 4 mm cartridge (AC), 10/pk (use with hardware kit 5021-1845).

The question arised as I can see elsewhere a totally different information, it is standalone column and a standalone Thermo-style guard holder (Female-Female, connecting capillary required) with cartridges:

And it looks like a standalone column on ebay:

AGILENT Hypersil AA-ODS 200 x 2.1mm 5µm Particles HPLC Column 79916AA-572 | eBay

Parents
  • Hi all,

79916AA-572 IS a conventional column. We are aware of the typo in the online store and it will be changed as soon as possible.

And due to the high pH's of amino acid analyzes Agilent's HPH columns (Poroshell 120 HPH-C18) are far better suitable for them then the AA-ODS column.

Cheers,

Norbert

• Hello, Norbert! Thank you for your response.

In the wild here (and on Agilent application notes on AAA as well) I pretty much frequently see just an Eclipse Plus C18 and XDB-C18 (or proprietary Eclipse AAA particles, sharing eXtra Dense Bonding process), and not Extend C18 to resist high pH in this application of AAA, why, if high pH-resistance is of such a great importance? Won't it be enough to change sacrificial guards regularly to cease particles in column dissolution to a practically acceptable rate?

I usually advocate for a specialty phase https://www.agilent.com/en/products/liquid-chromatography/lc-columns/biomolecule-separations/advancebio-amino-acid-analy…

even if it is an Poroshell 120 HPH-C18 column with a "proprietary phase" label attached. I hope much more work had been done on that.

• Hi,

amino acid analyses changed little over time, that's why historical phases are still used. Then came 2nd and 3rd generation columns with ultra-pure silica bases and better stability. Today I would always use an AdvanceBio AAA instead of anything else, but there are plenty of literature references out there citing the old ways.

If an old type column is in a validated method, the user should calculated the financial benefits of using a state-of-the-art phase and re-validate the method and multiple older columns with short life spans.

• Hi,

amino acid analyses changed little over time, that's why historical phases are still used. Then came 2nd and 3rd generation columns with ultra-pure silica bases and better stability. Today I would always use an AdvanceBio AAA instead of anything else, but there are plenty of literature references out there citing the old ways.

If an old type column is in a validated method, the user should calculated the financial benefits of using a state-of-the-art phase and re-validate the method and multiple older columns with short life spans.

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?