Does the presence of certain chemicals in a fragrance blend affect the separation and detection of other chemicals by GCMS?

I am working with a DB-WAX column from Agilent, trying to identify components of a fragrance. In my analysis, the samples are vaporized at 250°C and the oven programing is from 50 to 250 °C. A chemical called methyl beta-orcinol carboxylate (Oakmoss, Evernyl, Veramoss) does not get detected, when injected in pure form or as a part of some fragrances. In others, a small peak appears towards the end of the temp programing (@250°C).  Any idea what causes this?  Does it have to do with chemical properties of the sample or column chemistry?  Do organic acids behave differently in DB-WAX?

Parents
  • A bit of google says that the crystalline  CAS 4707-47-5  methyl beta-orcinol carboxylate is 141-146 degrees C.  The predicted boiling point is 360.7 +/- 22 degrees C.   There are some essential oil chromatograms out there that show Veramoss peaks, but run on columns that can go to higher temperatures than your DB-Wax.

• How do you calculate the predicted boiling point. Is it directly related to the boiling point or does the presence of different functional groups affect it too? Or is this due to the interaction in a Carbowax column?

I am trying to figure out, which other chemicals would not show in the DB-Wax column. There are a few chemicals with boiling point much higher than that of CAS 4707-47-5  methyl beta-orcinol carboxylate, but they do get detected with the above temperature program. 

Can you direct me to some literature which can be helpful in figuring this out.?

• How do you calculate the predicted boiling point. Is it directly related to the boiling point or does the presence of different functional groups affect it too? Or is this due to the interaction in a Carbowax column?

I am trying to figure out, which other chemicals would not show in the DB-Wax column. There are a few chemicals with boiling point much higher than that of CAS 4707-47-5  methyl beta-orcinol carboxylate, but they do get detected with the above temperature program. 

Can you direct me to some literature which can be helpful in figuring this out.?

Children
Was this helpful?