Acrolein - problem with prepare standard solution

Hello everyone! 

I'm currently working on a new (for my company) method of quantifying acrolein by GC-FID. I have a big problem with the appropriate weight of the standard. According to the article, I should add the right amount of acrolein to the CS2 flask. I bought certificate acrolein standard with a high purity (99.9%) so I measure the weight of the flask with CS2 and add the acrolein (using a glass syringe). But I did notice a large weight difference, often negative. I tried to cool the syringe but nothing has changed. 

Does anyone have problem with acrolein like me? Maybe you have some advice?

Parents
  • Hi envilabeko,

I see you also posted the question at chromforum.org

All solutions are based on you injected too little into the solution. Both acrolein and CS2 have high vapour pressures, i. e. they evaporate very easily. So use your volumetric flask and add part of the CS2, put a septum on top and weigh. Add 10times more acrolein and weigh again, remove septum and fill the flask to the marker. Now you calculate amount acrolein per mL CS2. Dilute the stock solution to the different concentrations you will need for a calibration curve (at least 3 points).

Easier would be using methanol or water instead of CS2. We offer acrolein standards in both (Search | Agilent), then you only need to do the dilution. Water like CS2 do not give a signal in the FID.

Regards,

Norbert

• Hi envilabeko,

I see you also posted the question at chromforum.org

All solutions are based on you injected too little into the solution. Both acrolein and CS2 have high vapour pressures, i. e. they evaporate very easily. So use your volumetric flask and add part of the CS2, put a septum on top and weigh. Add 10times more acrolein and weigh again, remove septum and fill the flask to the marker. Now you calculate amount acrolein per mL CS2. Dilute the stock solution to the different concentrations you will need for a calibration curve (at least 3 points).

Easier would be using methanol or water instead of CS2. We offer acrolein standards in both (Search | Agilent), then you only need to do the dilution. Water like CS2 do not give a signal in the FID.

Regards,

Norbert

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?