Boiling the samples

Hi!
When I am preparing my samples I need to boil them for 1 hour and I need to keep the gas space (in the test tube) to the minimum – if we have 20 ml vials and 18 ml samples (8 ml filtrate+10ml NaOH) would it be safe to boil those?  Wouldn´t they explode? Should I use 22ml vials instead?

Parents
  • Hi Marta,

sorry I was just now made aware of this question, that should have been in the consumables section of the Community.

Headspace vials and their caps do have higher pressure ratings than standard vials and the disk in the caps is thicker to cope with the higher pressure of headspace analyses (often very close to the boiling point of water).

With that said you need to check if you have headspace vials and caps and then it shouldn't be a problem.

Regards,

Norbert

• Hi Marta,

sorry I was just now made aware of this question, that should have been in the consumables section of the Community.

Headspace vials and their caps do have higher pressure ratings than standard vials and the disk in the caps is thicker to cope with the higher pressure of headspace analyses (often very close to the boiling point of water).

With that said you need to check if you have headspace vials and caps and then it shouldn't be a problem.

Regards,

Norbert

Children
Was this helpful?