Can PLOT columns, specificaly those with the particle traps, be trimmed?

I am seeing a drop in Area Counts across Standards, even with fresh, new stock. I am trying to identify any other possibility besides having contaminated the column as it was just installed 4-5 months ago, but haven't had much luck. In my other lab, we had different columns and trimming was a way of life there. However, I remember reading somewhere that it was not advisable to trim these types of columns. Is this correct? I haven't trimmed this particular column yet but was beginning to think about it, and thought I should "ask the experts."

Parents
  • Hi James,

you can trim PLOT columns like WCOT columns, maybe just a little more careful when you snip the cut part away if there is no particle trap.

If the PLOT column has a coupled particle trap you can even replace it with a new one.

If you find a lower area count then also think of checking/removing the front ferrules, the inlet, the inlet septum or even the gold seal. It normally means you loose analyte in the injector region, can be by a leak, by absorption in the liner, a column too high mounted in the inlet, through the septum purge.

Best regards,

Norbert

• Hi James,

you can trim PLOT columns like WCOT columns, maybe just a little more careful when you snip the cut part away if there is no particle trap.

If the PLOT column has a coupled particle trap you can even replace it with a new one.

If you find a lower area count then also think of checking/removing the front ferrules, the inlet, the inlet septum or even the gold seal. It normally means you loose analyte in the injector region, can be by a leak, by absorption in the liner, a column too high mounted in the inlet, through the septum purge.

Best regards,

Norbert

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?