Looking to use alternative carrier gas from Helium

Hi,

I am putting together a proposal for the owner of the company I work for to make flavors. I cannot purchase the GC/MS system until I can determine if I can use an alternative carrier gas with good resolution,selectivity, etc. We are looking at buying 7890A GC with a 5975C msd as a detector. In the past at another company I used same equipment with helium as a carrier gas and built a mass spec library including retention times, etc. Using the column - DB-5ms 40m x 0.18mm x 0.18um. Now that Helium is difficult to get, when we buy this equipment from Agilent I want to start off using a carrier gas that is in constant supply. I understand I will have to update retention times for thousands of peaks so I need to know what you guys think I should use as a carrier gas other than helium. Should I not use Nitrogen? I remember reading in the Agilent class books from classes I took a few years ago that nitrogen will give some overlapping peaks at some point in the column depending on phase.Is it still not a good alternative to helium now that we may not be able to get helium at times. Is hydrogen ok to use with mass spec using a hydrogen generator? Could I use a combination of two gases?

Also, is there a newer method translation software so I could translate the old method and column to using a new type of column and carrier gas that may keep retention times somewhat close to original method. If I have to start over on the retention times then that is fine.

Thank you,

Dan Lingo

Parents
  • Do you have to use a MS detector? If you could use a different detector then perhaps N2 is an option? I'm just remembering some old lab horror stories of GC's blowing up due to H2 leaks, although perhaps safety issues have been addressed in current systems. I've never had a problem ordering He cylinders. Perhaps an alternative is to always stock a minimum number of He cylinders to guard against temporary back order situations. (FYI, I'm in KS, USA, which may or may not effect my He availability.)

• Do you have to use a MS detector? If you could use a different detector then perhaps N2 is an option? I'm just remembering some old lab horror stories of GC's blowing up due to H2 leaks, although perhaps safety issues have been addressed in current systems. I've never had a problem ordering He cylinders. Perhaps an alternative is to always stock a minimum number of He cylinders to guard against temporary back order situations. (FYI, I'm in KS, USA, which may or may not effect my He availability.)

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?