Endrin breakdown

Hi, I am running a 7890A with dual ECD's for multiple methods including 504, 505, 515, 552, 8081, and 8082. We got a super inert splitless injection port and weldment because we were having a lot of Endrin breakdown problems, and it seems to help but not eliminate the Endrin breakdown. I replaced our gas trap in January ( triple trap for oxygen, moisture and hydrocarbons ) using Nitrogen as our carrier and make-up gas. Seems like I almost always have to cut 1/2 loops off each analytical column and 1/2 loop off the guard column to have any chance of getting < 15% Endrin breakdown. Usually DDT breakdown is OK. I have frequently been cooling the injection port down to rinse and swab with MeCL2, Acetone, MeOH and Hexane, with some success. But it is not unusual to see 40-50% Endrin breakdown after a PCB run or 515 Herbicide run.

Any ideas? We are using a pulsed splitless injection, Have lowered the injection port temp to 180, and use a drilled hole uniliner (Topaz from Restek). Not sure if there is something I am missing.

Thanks, DaveD

Parents
  • David,

Breakdown is normally due to active sites in the sample path. You may just need to clean the inlet with the swab after running 515. Could be inlet, fused silica line from inlet to Y splitter, the splitter itself or the columns.

Let us know if you have more information on the setup you have.

• I am using a Topaz drilled hole uniliner from Restek as my injection port liner, A 5m. 0.32mm ID guard column, and 0.32mm ID RTX-CLP, RTX CLPII 30m. column pair from Restek. I always replace the Uniliners with new ones before running any pesticides. Yesterday I had a 19 injection run of drinking water 505 pesticides, and the initial Endrin breakdown check was 27.6% on the front column and 19.3% on the back column. At the end of the 19 injection run (all clean drinking water standards and samples) I re-ran the breakdown check and it was 60% on the front column and 45% on the back column.  My guess is there is either water in some of my extracts of gas impurities causing my Endrin breakdown to skyrocket after a short run of clean extracts.

• I am using a Topaz drilled hole uniliner from Restek as my injection port liner, A 5m. 0.32mm ID guard column, and 0.32mm ID RTX-CLP, RTX CLPII 30m. column pair from Restek. I always replace the Uniliners with new ones before running any pesticides. Yesterday I had a 19 injection run of drinking water 505 pesticides, and the initial Endrin breakdown check was 27.6% on the front column and 19.3% on the back column. At the end of the 19 injection run (all clean drinking water standards and samples) I re-ran the breakdown check and it was 60% on the front column and 45% on the back column.  My guess is there is either water in some of my extracts of gas impurities causing my Endrin breakdown to skyrocket after a short run of clean extracts.

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?