Poor reproducibility of GC Peak Area due to varying sample loop pressure

Hello guys,

I use an online GC (7820a, with FID) to analyse the reactor exit gas continuously. The reactor is used for catalyst testing for dehydrogenation of Methylcyclohexane (1 mole) to Toluene (1 mole) and Hydrogen (3 mole). The reaction happens at 500C and 1 Bar absolute pressure. As you see, this is a mole changing reaction and depending up on the conversion the volumetric flow rate downstream of the reactor will vary.

After the reactor, the flow stream is split into exhaust (6 mm O.D tube with a Fine Dosing Valve to vent) and GC inlet line (3 mm O.D tube with manual Metering Valve). Sample injection in the GC done using a normal 6-port VALCO valve with a sample loop of 50 micro-litres. All flow streams after the reactor is heating to 230C and Valve box is also heating to 230C.

The problem I face right now is that, I see variation is peak area and analysis is not reproducible. This is mainly because of the variation in flow rates from the reactor exit to the sample loop in the GC, which in-turn vary the pressure inside the sample loop. According to simple gas law equation, n =p.V/R.T, lower pressure will also reduce the total number of moles injected from the sample loop.

Following are the solutions I thought about,

1. Shutting off the GC inlet line before Injection using an ON/OFF valve: Shutting off the GC inlet line just couple of seconds before the sample loop injection will allow the sample loop to equilibrate against the atmospheric pressure and attain sample volume injection. But for this to work seamlessly, the ON/OFF valve and GC injection trigger should some how be synchronised (A custom control box which triggers the ON/OFF valve to close and then after few seconds triggers the GC to inject). Seems like not an easy solution

2. Adding a 4-port valve before 6-port valve: I thought that the same shut-off of the GC inlet line can be designed by allowing the gas from the GC inlet to first go through a 4-port valve and then to 6-port sampling valve, so that 4-port valve can be turned ON few second before, cutting the sample flow to the sampling loop of the 6-port valve and thus allowing the sample to attain equilibrium, and then the 6-port can turn ON to inject position. After injection, the 4-port valve can be turned OFF again, allowing the sample to flow through the sample loop until it's time for next injection. So, I installed an old 4-port valve into my GC. However, in the EZChrome Elite software, I can only assign this new valve as "sampling valve" or "switching valve" or "OTHER" valve. Since, I cannot assign it as "sampling valve" (because, I already have 6-port valve for the sample injection), I assigned it as a "switching valve". Problem there was that I cannot give certain time (e.g. 0.1 min) for which it has to turn ON and then OFF before the 6-port valve injection. If I simply add the 4-port valve as a "switching valve", it just turns ON and stays ON through out the run and also for the rest of the sequence runs. Assigning it as "OTHER"valve also didn't work.

Did anyone of you guys faced the sample problem? is there any other solution for this?

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Oshin.

Parents
  • Got a quick solution that is less mechanical. You can add an inline pressure valve on the outlet of the 6 way valve. So the flow will only occur through the line once it reaches a certain pressure in only one direction. Thereby controlling the flow out of the tubing. So when your GC flips the switch so to speak and injects the loop into the inlet it can then be assured it's at a constant representative pressure. Only risk you take is condensation under higher pressure along the line. So you would have to tinker with it to get it right.

What are the area counts you are getting as 50 uL is still big even for a gas injection. The liner maybe getting overloaded so your peak reproducability would be less.

Another though you could do it have a cooler injection loop of say 2 uL. Then as the solvent condenses, this can be the "syringe" for as injection, where it will heat in the inlet back up instantly and give much better chromatographic results similar to a standard GC system.

• Hi gchaplain,

Yes. You are correct. A simple pressure valve is a solution but I need to heat that pressure valve to 200 C to avoid condensation.

I am not aware of cooler injection loop. If the product condenses, how we gonna take constant measurement from the gas stream?

The best solution I was was to use an "Atmospheric Reference Vent" coupled with a "Stream Switching Unit". The Stream Switching Unit" will periodically divert the gas flow to exhaust and the the "Atmospheric Reference Vent" will allow the sample loop some equilibration time to attain atmospheric pressure before injection. Of course, we have to synchronize this unit when GC injection time.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjEpZWone3gAhXRaVAKHeeMDs8QFjAAegQIBxAC&url=ht…

But some other GC has something called "Stop Flow Valve" which stops the flow few seconds before the injection.

Right now, we are trying make a control box which control the opening and closing of electronic pneumatic valve installed in the GC inlet line and then triggers the GC for injection 5-10 seconds after the valve is closed.

Thank for your advices

Cheers,

Oshin

• And I am using a liner of volume 870 uL. So I think 50 uL sample loop volume should be fine. right?

The Area counts that i get is in the range of 100 000 000

• that is very high for the area count.

What temperature is the inlet? What usually happens is that the inlet temperature causes an expansion of the vaporised gases that can over fill the liner.

Agilent has calculators you can download to tell the expansion and if the liner is overloaded:

The vapour volume calculator can tell you. And if it is indeed overloaded that will definitely affect your reproducability.

GC Calculators | Agilent

Reply Children
No Data
Was this helpful?