Ethylene glycol RT shift issue

I am using GC6890 /MS5973 and COmbi PAL headspace to analyze ETHYLENE GLYCOL and other solvents. But always got RT shifts with concentration increase.

anybody could shine any lights for me to find the bug?

Here is detail infor:

Ethylene Glycol Peak RT shift issue

concentration of ethylene glycol = 2.5 ug/ul, pipette the following amount to 10 mL headspace vial for each calibrator

Calibrator 1, Ethylene Glycol Peak RT = 8.35 min, Amount = 0.8 uL

Calibrator 2, Ethylene Glycol Peak RT = 8.38 min, Amount = 1.5 uL

Calibrator 3, Ethylene Glycol Peak RT = 8.47 min, Amount = 2.5 uL

Calibrator 4, Ethylene Glycol Peak RT = 8.92 min, Amount = 5 uL

Calibrator 5, Ethylene Glycol Peak RT = 9.22 min, Amount = 10 uL

NOTE:

1)other solvents RT are always consistent without any shifts

2)The calibrators were prepared by spiking pure analytes into triacetin.

3) 250 uL headspace gas was injected by CTC Combi PAL.

4) The peak width becomes wider with increasing concentration, peaks is showing tailing for calibrator 4 and 5

5) Peak area is linear for first three calibrators, then suddenly drop for calibrator 4, then back for calibrator 5.

6) RT for same calibrator (repeated injection) are consistent without any shift

7) All above obServed information could be duplicated by running another batch of 5 calibrators. We repeated several times, always got same results like above.

8) Inlet liner is Agilent ultra inert PN 5190-2293

9) GC conditions: Inlet 250 C, split 10:1, flow 4.0 ml/min, oven 35C hold 1.5 min then to 300 C at 30C/min

MS interface 280 C, Scan 15-125 amu.

Parents
  • Hi wendywen,

I just wanted to follow-up to see if this issue is resolved.  If so, please come back to the post and click the “Correct Answer” button on the response that help so it will make the solution more visible.  If you still need help, just let us know and we would be happy to continue working with you. Also if you found the solution other than what was posted, let us know and it will help the community. I have also moved your post to an area where it will be more visible.

• Hi wendywen,

I just wanted to follow-up to see if this issue is resolved.  If so, please come back to the post and click the “Correct Answer” button on the response that help so it will make the solution more visible.  If you still need help, just let us know and we would be happy to continue working with you. Also if you found the solution other than what was posted, let us know and it will help the community. I have also moved your post to an area where it will be more visible.

Children
Was this helpful?