9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2019 7:09 AM by hennindm

New to GC FID

revathy

Hi

I am new to GC Method development phase. We are having GC 7820 A with FID detector. Currently I am developing a method for industrial solvents. When I run a blank (THF), I got a very unusual spikes in the chromatogram as seen below. I have changed the inlet, septum and checked the gold seal which looks good and trimmed the column in the inlet end. Any suggestion would be of great help

Thanks

Revathy

• Re: New to GC FID
          james_jenkins

Hi Revathy,

These are electronic noise spikes. Typically when you see a sharp spike with no area under the peak/ spike this is from the fid or fid electronics. The fid collector has a spring connection for the signal to the electrometer and dirt or corrosion can cause spikes like you are seeing. I would suggest taking the FID apart and cleaning the collector assy and changing the jet as a first step. I have attached a section from the 7890 manual that covers FID maintenance. The procedures in the manual apply to other Agilent GC models as well as the FID assemblies are all similar. I hope this helps.

Regards

James

dmarchini

Hello, spikes like that are usually coming from the detector, you can try what happen if you "tic" with a screw on a fid jokin, don't do that

In my lab we don't bother about noise like the one you show us in the picture, cause we set the signal windows between 0 and 50.

But if you need super flat baseline without spikes like that I suggest you to perform manteinance on the fid, especially installing the column perfectly.

Apart from the detector spikes, and to be picky, I would check also the gas purity and the inline carrier filters, because a 10 pA baseline is pretty high for our standard (we have a 3/4 pA baseline at oven 70°C)

revathy

Hi Dmarchini

Thanks you for pointing it out about 10pA baseline.  The fig. which I sent it is at the end of the run(before maintainance).  Now my base line at the start of the run is 5.1 at 70°C and by the time it reaches max temp of about 300°C the pA is about 6 (is that good enough) and it stay stables there until the run finishes (21 min run).  What you mean is yours in <1pA(3/4) is that right.   We have new inline carrier filters so i guess that is not the problem.  Let me know if this baseline is good enough.  Thank you for your time.

hennindm

In addition to dirty detector, the spikes can be due to a column clip, silica particles flying through. This typically disappears after a good bake out.