11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2019 5:11 AM by mr.white

OpenLAB 2.2 calibration issue

rapu54

Hello,

When I do calibrations I want to keep the old calibration history so I do not want to delete the old calibration points. Hence when processing a new calibration run I leave the "run type" blank in the "injection list". At this stage the I uncheck the "uncheck" the "use" box, save the method and update the master method.

Any subsequent runs will have all the calibration points included,  even the previously unchecked ones?

I am obviously not understanding this process. see attached pdf.

thank you,

Glenn

• Re: OpenLAB 2.2 calibration issue
          mr.white

Hello,

It work for us when we just leave the "Run type" empty.

Merry Xmas

White

ryoboyle

Hello,

I added tags to this post to increase visibility.

I have copied below the explanation for this behavior that is in the Online Help:

Hopefully this helps.

ryoboyle

There was also already a discussion on this topic earlier this year on the Agilent Community which you might find useful: https://community.agilent.com/message/5212-re-calibration-in-openlab-da#comment-5212

crystalnipp

I'm not sure I necessarily understand why you want to keep your old calibration data with the active method, but if you enable "save method with data" in the run time checklist for a method, then a copy of the method (cleverly named run.m) is saved with each data file that has the method (including the calibration effective when the sample was originally run).  It is not adding a lot data-wise to the data files so there is no real downside to saving it.  You load the method from the data file via the method>load method and navigating to the data file. 

There is also a function that saves GLP data that I am not overly familiar with that may do the same thing and more. 

Happy, Happy New Year!

ryoboyle

Hello crystalnipp,

This is very good information, but the features that you describe are only present in OpenLab CDS ChemStation software and are not present in OpenLab CDS 2.x software. There is no run time checklist in OpenLab CDS methods.

crystalnipp

Are the functions still there and moved to a different place or have those functions been removed?  For us that was a pretty valuable built in function.  And a valid reason for not upgrading our software.

[Personal Information Removed by Moderator]

ryoboyle

Hello,

With OpenLab CDS, you have the option of saving your data in secure Content Management database. This option is available in both a Workstation (called Workstation Plus) and client/server configuration. When using the OpenLab CDS application with Content Management, all data and methods are automatically versioned and stored in the secure database. Thus, compliance with regulations such as GLP and 21 CFR Part 11 is enabled.

crystalnipp

That’s fine and dandy for regulated folks.

But for the rest of us who live in the practical real world of trying to make industrial or specialty chemicals, all these bells and whistles are not just unnecessary but they eventually become anti-productive as you actually (gasp!!) just try to run a sample and get a simple report.  And I work for a company that doesn’t really want their computers networked into someone else’s server.

I get that Agilent has a vested interest in supporting the Pharma folks.  I’m sure they pay a lot for these services.  But I’ve been using ChemStation/Open lab for nearly 25 years and it just keeps getting more and more complicated in ways we don’t need or want…that inevitably makes it less than user friendly.

We have a staff of 20 or so folks, more than 50 % are entry level.  And we experience a lot of turnover.  The constant “upgrading” of this software suite is problematic for us especially since our staff of newbies can’t operate anything more complex than an app on a smart phone.  And we have 25 GC’s and 6 HPLC’s and run some 3000+ samples a month so that can lead to a lot of challenges.

I don’t mean to unload on you, but after the aforementioned 25 years it gets a bit tiring to be reminded by Agilent folk that they’ve “installed more bells and whistles and isn’t that grand”?  Sometimes, “better” just isn’t.  And this is not an “upgrade” we will be making…unless it’s after I retire or over my dead body.

Happy New Year!!

Crystal

[Personal Information Removed by Moderator]

ryoboyle

Hello Crystal,

Your feedback is definitely appreciated, as is your loyalty to Agilent ChemStation software. I do want to stress that OpenLab CDS 2.x is a different software product than OpenLab CDS ChemStation. The two products have different workflows and features, some of which may not appeal to all users.

With OpenLab CDS ChemStation, as with many other software products, I agree that it can sometimes be difficult to keep up with the changes and new features introduced in new revisions, especially when performing an upgrade spanning multiple software revisions. A good resource in such situations is the OpenLab CDS ChemStation Release Notes which documents the changes made to the software dating back to revision C.01.01: https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/usermanuals/Public/CS_ReleaseNotes.pdf. For new users, there is also a useful collection of OpenLab CDS ChemStation Resources available at this link: Collection of OpenLab CDS ChemStation and EZChrom Edition Resources . This information can be used to supplement the free eFamiliarization modules provided with the software.

If you are interested in learning more about the OpenLab CDS 2.x product, there is a webinar series with monthly introductory presentations already scheduled for the first half of 2019. You can sign up for the webinars as well access recording of past webinars here: OpenLab CDS ChemStation Webinars | Agilent

Happy New Year to you too!

chesstu

I totally second this.

mr.white

Hello Crystal,

If you are using Chemstation then you sure know all the dangers.

especially Win XP

Data Integrity

On every Machine is a different Method / Parameter / Templates. But it was very easy to transfer a method on an USB Stick.

Chemstation is a 20 Year old Software. Its outdatet in every way. 2 System processors and 4 GB of Ram.

And Open Labs Chemstation looks just unfinished. ( My opinion )

But you cant compare Open Labs with Chemstation. It was completely build up from scratch.

You can see this on the "Snapshot Function" which was introduced in OL 2.2.

It using a new Architecture. ( 64 bit )

Open Labs is secure.

The Server Version of Open Labs sounds very good to me.

Just imagine one Server, which store all the Methods.

You connect with your Instrument. And directly got all methods, templates ready.

I worked with all of them for a while.

I can only recommend OpenLabs. Even more then Empower or Chromeleon.

I agree with you in the point that updates are a risk too. But I am very happy to see a good Software after 10 Years of Chemstation