AnsweredAssumed Answered

ICP-OES Method Development Strategy Advice

Question asked by agricult on Dec 26, 2018
Latest reply on Jan 2, 2019 by tmcsweeney

Hi,

I am working with an Agilent ICP-OES 5100 / 5110 instrument and involved in analytical method development. We plan on analysing biological samples (undigested blood serum) for a combination of macro, meso and trace elements, i.e. Na, P, K, Ca, Mg, Fe, Zn ideally through a dilute and shoot method without digesting the serum previously or matrix matching the calibration standards used for creating the external calibration curve if we can avoid it. We plan to start with preparing pure standard solutions of the mentioned elements singly, to identify the best wavelengths, instrument conditions and interference impact / influence.

My experience in ICP-OES is quite basic at present but I'm in the process of updating my knowledge on both the instrument and analytical method development process. Out of this I've 2 questions:

1.Would anyone be able to offer advice or suggest / share information or even outline the main standard steps for OES method development?

2. Does anyone have information on interrupting sample spectrum, i.e. peak shifting,background, etc.

I'd really appreciate people's experience and advice as I find the instrumentation and process fascinating so hope to learn.

Outcomes