4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2019 5:29 AM by schmitty

Backflush Wizard method setup

schmitty

All,

I'm trying to set up a backflush method on an instrument that we've been using for some time.  It is a 7890A with a 5975 GC/MS.

After much searching I found the backflush Wizard hidden under the Instrument menu tab.  The software required me to update the GC firmware, which I also did.

Now, when I go back through the menu to start the Wizard, I still get the same error, and it recommends that I import the method FROM the GC TO the acquisition software, but there are no instructions on how to accomplish this and there are no help topics related to this function.

I recall something like this from some version of Chemstation, but not MassHunter.  I'm sure there's a simple fix and I am just overlooking it, but I need to know where to look.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

How do I import the method to the PC?

Thanks,

John

• Re: Backflush Wizard method setup
          schmitty

I got through the hurdle!

You must choose the menu item "GC Configuration" and then select "get configuration from instrument".

The method that is currently loaded is updated and then saves over itself.

Then you can continue through the Wizard to set up the backflush.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone else.

Thanks,

John

ryoboyle

Hello,

Would you mind providing us with the revision of MassHunter Acquisition that you are running? You can determine this by going to Help>About.

schmitty

Hello, I need help with an additional request regarding backflushing setup. Is there a way to enable constant backflushing during a method? My manager would like to enable backflushing when the instrument is not in use, so I want to create a "LAST.m" method to load at the end of a sequence that has backflushing enabled.

It appears that the inlet cannot have backwards flow at the beginning of a run, or it needs a flow between 3 and 1,250 mL/min when in split mode. I can switch to splitless, but I don't think that is backflushing out of the purge valve like we want it to, right?

Thanks for any insight.