7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2018 10:36 AM by michalab

Intelligent Reporting: Area % and Groups

michalab

Hello!

I am using OpenLAB ChemStation CDS, version C.01.08 and I have 2 questions regarding intelligent reporting:

In the intelligent report I am trying to customize I have a column with Peak_AreaPercent and at the bottom I have their Sum. Sometimes the sum doesn't equal 100, sometimes it's 99.88 etc. Why is it like this and how can it be fixed to always display 100? I thought maybe I can eliminate the decimal places and just report a whole number, but I'd like to know why it's doing this and if it can be solved.

Secondly, in my calibration table I have created two groups that some of the peaks belong to. In my report, I have created a table showing Group Name and then the other column I am trying to report is the total Area % for all of the peaks in that Group. At the bottom of the table, I'm trying to get a sum of the Area % in the two groups.

Thank you!

• Re: Intelligent Reporting: Area % and Groups
          ryoboyle

Hello,

I added tags to this post to increase visibility.

For your first question, my guess would be that there is an uncalibrated peak that is getting integrated which is not being displayed in your results table. To check this, right click on the table and select properties. In the properties window go to the Peaks and Repeating tab and check the 'Unknown Peaks' checkbox:

After displaying both identified and unknown peaks, is the Area% still not adding up to 100?

For the second question, can you give us an idea of the status of the report? Where are you getting stuck? Is the table not populating or can you just not get the sum of the groups' area% values to populate? Can you show a screenshot of what the report is doing?

wydnaa

Same answer as ryoboyle to your first question, or you have area rejection turned on in the table properties:

The answer to the second part of your question is to have a filter applied the table to show to show only peaks belonging to the groups, to then show you the sum of the area percentages of each group.  You would have to create two tables, each with their own filter to show each of the group names.

Alternatively, you could repeat the same table for each group name.  I think that would give you what you need.

Does that make sense?

/Andy

michalab

Hello wydnaa and ryoboyle,

Thank you both for the reply! I have applied the answer to the Area Percent Sum question to my report and I have to check further but I do think that worked.
                Below you'll see some images that should clear up some of your questions :

Report3.jpg
                In the top right table (Group & %) the value for column % is =Peak_AreaPercentand in the Summary Calculations tab I have checked the box Sum in order to populate the bottom row on the table.
                As you can see, everything on my report is populating except for the values in the top right table, which I do have a filter set up for which is  =4.

I hope this clarifies where I'm having the issue,

Thanks again!

ryoboyle

Hello,

The Peak_AreaPercent field only applies to integrated peaks and not to compounds, meaning that ChemStation stores nothing is this field for Compound Groups. There is no built in field to calculate Area% for Compound Groups, so you will need to define an aggregator to store the Compound Group Area Sums and then use that aggregator in a custom expression to calculate the Compound Group Area%. I have illustrated how to define such an aggregator in the below screenshot:

Now that the aggregator (named GroupArea in this example) is defined, I can call it further down on my report in a custom expression to calculate the Group Area Percent, as seen below:

Hopefully this helps.