1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 12, 2018 5:17 AM by trifecta

Strange GCMS spectra when running analysis

gchaplain

Good Morning,

We are currently using a 5975T on Chemstation and have experienced "grass" on our spectra before and usually either a dirty source or HED power supply issue.

However, this occurred during a tune as well as when performing analysis.

We currently have an issue that needs addressing, so when performing analysis we get grassing:

hence peaks at every signal. however if we observe the tune or manual tune parameters on scan we get:

(low 502 ion ratio due to high source and quad temps so please ignore the ratios)

No settings have been changed. This occurred over night, not gradual change just next day results were not working properly, there was a power outage in the lab a few times, however we do not know if this was a contributing factor.

And again this only happens when running a sample through the GC. The tune is great, if not better than usual.

The column is at a good length into the source, source is used but still tuning, EM volts looks good so EM horn should be OK. Occurs even on SIM.

Please respond with any questions or answers tot his as it's the first time we've seen this happen like this and i assume it's not for the good people of the community.

• Re: Strange GCMS spectra when running analysis
          trifecta

I have not used a 5975T but I have seen this behavior on other 597x systems.  All proved to be either a faulty multiplier or HED detector. The one exception was finding barely visible "lint" around the detector. Easily cleaned with a can of air.  It does not look like chemical noise even though you see it on injection.  You may not see it in Manual Tune just due to the y-scaling at 800,000 counts vs 70.  Rerun Scan in Manual Tune with the PFTBA valve closed to reduce the response and the y-scale.