4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2018 12:12 PM by ryoboyle

OpenLab C.01.07 SR3 on Windows 10

lkroiss

Hi

I installed OpenLab C.01.07 SR3 [465] on windows 10 computer for a standard 1200 LC system.  The software installed fine, I auto-configured the system, and everything looked good.  I double clicked the Openlab online icon, and the computer started processing the request (meaning the openlab window popped up, commands were loaded, etc) and just when it was finished opening up, everything disappeared.  It was like I hadn't opened the software at all.  Even the task menu didn't have any openlab processes running.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?  Is there some setting in Windows 10 that I missed configuring during the install that could be the cause of this?

Thanks in advance!

• Re: OpenLab C.01.07 SR3 on Windows 10
          ryoboyle

Hello,

I marked this post as a question and added tags to increase visibility.

The first thing I would recommend is to run the Software Verification Tool (found in the Start menu under the Agilent Technologies folder) to ensure that all the components of the OpenLab ChemStation software are installed. If the SVT reports pass, then the next thing to check would be whether the PC is configured as outlined in the Requirements Guide and the Workstation Installation Guide (both found on disk 1 of the installation media). It could be that your firewall or antivirus program is preventing the software from launching.

This is a shot in the dark, but you should also check that you have a default printer specified in your Devices in Printers. If there is no default printer then OpenLab ChemStation will not be able to launch, though usually you would receive an error message if this was the case.

lkroiss

Thanks for the reply.  SVT was run, and is successful.  I'll double check that all the Agilent software configuration requirements in Win 10 are met.  An Agilent FSE suggested that the problem might be with my version of Windows 10 because the Windows features uses 4.7.net version instead of the Agilent required 4.5.2.net.  There is not a way to change that in Windows 10, so the only fix would be updated Agilent software.  If that is the case, I'm a bit frustrated because Agilent does say C.01.07 runs on Windows 10.

Thanks for the suggestions!

lkroiss

OK, after some additional work, the answer was the printer (thanks shot in the dark!).  It seems with the network printer installed as default, OpenLab would not load.  When I set the default to anything else (pdf printer), it loads up just fine.  Once the software loads, then I can change the default back to the network printer, and print my results. 

So, any idea on how to install a network printer that will not interfere with how OpenLab loads its printer spooler?  I so far I have tried installing the printer through the Windows 10 add a printer feature, as well as installing it using the IP address.  Both ways lead to the same problem.  Maybe it is a setting on the firewall somewhere?  Any other ideas or shots in the dark?

Thanks!

ryoboyle

Do all network printers cause this problem, or just one printer in particular?

It is possible that the printer driver is causing the problem. You could try configuring it with a Universal Printer Driver to test this out. If the driver is not causing the problem then it could be a communication issue over the network. To test if the firewall is the root cause, the easiest thing to do (if your IT allows it) is to temporarily turn the firewall off to see if you still have the issue.