Mixes format reporting

Need to report 3 components in a chromatogram in terms of weight percent. I accomplish this easily through calibrations and the #ESTD report format. But need a 4th component reported as area% and do not see the way to do this. I am a new user and would appreciate any input.

• Hello! The first question would be what software and revision are you using? Help > About will usually give you both of these pieces of information.

Second, if this is ChemStation (OpenLAB or before), which type of reporting are you using? In Data Analysis, see Report > Specify Report and let us know if Classic or Intelligent Reporting is selected.

• We are using Open Lab Revision C.01.07.SR(255)

Yes ChemStation and have only experience to date using the Classic option in reporting.

• Ok, I understand now. You'll have a lot more flexibility in terms of the reports you can do with Intelligent Reporting. Essentially, if all you need to add is area percent, the two best solutions would be to use either a Batch Report or an Sequence Summary Report using Intelligent Reporting. We will get back with some instructions. Alternatively, if you need immediate assistance, please contact Agilent using the appropriate channel for your country. Agilent | Contact Us has each country's contact information. For example, customers in the United States can call 1-800-227-9770 for the fastest response.

• I still cannot grasp how to present data as desired. Attached is an example report (MPA report as a PDF).

On the first page see that the first 3 components are reported as needed in terms of weight percent.

The 4th component I wish to be identified and reported as the area percent value.

Please advise on how to add the appropriate column for A% and/or how to effect the calculation myself ie. (area/total*100) for that component.

Thank you

• If possible, please come back to the Community by logging in and then upload your PDF through this interface rather than replying by email. Unfortunately, it appears that your attachments won’t appear unless you do that. Furthermore, I think there were a few more edits to the responses (mine in particular) about which you might not have been notified via email. We’re working on a few brief tutorials to elucidate the two options you have. 
  • Hello again, I see the report you've uploaded. The fourth component is not labeled, which indicates that it hasn't been given a name in the calibration table. In order to modify the template for classic report so that the Area % is shown in your report, ensure that the Intelligent Reporting option in the instrument configuration is off. To do this, close any open sessions of ChemStation, then launch the OpenLAB Control Panel, in the configuration for the instrument being used for this task. Right-click on the instrument and select “Configure Instrument”:

The instrument configuration includes an option to “Enable Intelligent Reporting,” which for what you're trying to do should be turned off; i.e., the checkbox below should be cleared:

Click OK to save this change, then start your ChemStation again, navigate to the Report Layout view

and load the exstd.frp template:

In the template, scroll down to the General section and double-click on the grey rectangle:

add Main Peak Area % from the Not Printed Columns to the Printed Columns above Compound Name by selecting it:

Do the same thing (except it's called Area %) for the grey rectangle in the General/Cal. Signals section:

Importantly, once these additions are made, save the template with a new name. Don't overwrite the exstd.frp template. Call the new one something like EXSTD Area Percent.frp:

To add this new report to the list of selectable styles when you generate a report, go to File > Add to Report Styles. It is exceedingly advisable that you use the exact same name as the .frp file you just saved:

Finally, navigate back to Data Analysis, open Report > Specify report and choose your new style under Styles:

Then, select Report > Print report and you should see the new Area % columns in the report.

Please let us know if this results in what you were looking to do.

Was this helpful?