Configuration system failed to initialize. Chemstation will shutdown now.

Hey guys, I'm getting this error when trying to log into Chemstation for our 1200 HPLC: Configuration system failed to initialize. Chemstation will shutdown now.  ANY help would be appreciated!

• Hello,

I updated the tags on this post to increase visibility.

This error message is usually caused by a corruption in the user.config file (typically stemming from an unexpected shutdown or power outage). The fix for this is to rename or delete the user.config file, then the software will create a new user.config file the next time OpenLab ChemStation is launched. Below is information on where you can find the user.config file depending on the operating system you are running ChemStation on:

Win7/Win10 Computer

c:\users\<logged on user>\appdata\local\agilent_technologies\chemmain.exe_url_xyz\2.0.0.0\user.config

XP computer

C:\Documents and Settings\<logged_on_user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Agilent_Technologies\CHEMMAIN.EXE_Url_xlvsr1c1b5wijktns4g1gcbrae3dl030\2.0.0.0\user.config

On AIC

C:\Users\username\appdata\local/Agilent Technologies\ChemMain.exe_url_xyz….\’2.0.0.0\user.config

It will be necessary to show hidden items in File Explorer in order to access this file.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

• Thanks for the prompt assistance!  I actually tried this before posting the question but was hoping the remedy was something different.  When I deleted the user.config file and re-loaded the software (even did a reboot) Chemstation loaded, however I got "autostart macro failed, error #42" and Chemstation software became inactive.  Had to ctrl+alt+delete just to close the software.

The original problem stems from a hard re-boot after the software froze upon remoting in from another computer (a separate issue altogether that is very frustrating).  So, I'm afraid we may have to re-install the software.  Is there a link I can follow that will walk me through the re-install steps?

Thanks again for your help!

• Hello,

You should not need to re-install the software. It sounds like some of your instrument configuration files also were corrupted during the hard re-boot and need to be replaced as well. Below are the files that I recommend you try renaming (you can just append a .old to the file name):

config.reg

ChemStationPerInstrumentSettings.config

instrument.config

RapidControl.InstrumentConfig.xml

Depending on what revision of OpenLab ChemStation you are using these files can be located in different locations. If you are using a revision between C.01.01 and C.01.07 SR4, you can find these files at C:\Chem32\#\, where # is the instrument number. If you are using C.01.08 or C.01.09 these files will be located at C:\ProgramData\Agilent Technologies\ChemStation\#\. ProgramData is a hidden folder so you will need to make sure that you are viewing hidden items in File Explorer.

After you rename these files, launch an online session of ChemStation for your 1200 HPLC. You will be prompted to reconfigure the instrument, so make sure that you know what the IP address of your HPLC is before starting this process. Once the instrument is configured, the online session should hopefully come up without error.

Please let us know how this works for you and if you need any further help.

• Great! This worked however we are unable to connect.  IP address was not recognized and after manually configuring, the modules are still offline.

Again, thanks for your prompt help!  Wish I'd discovered this community sooner.

• You're welcome!

As far as the connection issue goes, you should be able to just autoconfigure the instrument as long as the PC can communicate to the HPLC. Are you able to ping the HPLC's IP address in the command prompt? The default IP address for most HPLC instruments is 192.168.254.11, though it is possible to change this by using bootp or telnet.

• Hello,

I am having the same problem when trying to log into Chemstation: Configuration system failed to initialize. Chemstation will shutdown now.

I have tried to rename or delete the user.config as explained before (following the Win7 steps), but I cannot find this: agilent_technologies\chemmain.exe_url_xyz\2.0.0.0\user.config

I will appreciate any help. Thank you so much!

Was this helpful?