6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2018 1:18 PM by evdehse

Trouble connecting Chemstation B.04.03 to 6890N GC

evdehse

Hello,

I guess my first question is: is Chemstation B.04.03 compatable with Windows 7 SP1?  I installed it and set up the IP address for the instrument, which is a 6890N GC.  When I try to open the online session I get the following error messages "FetchCPVar cannot talk to application" and "Run-time error '282': No foreign application responded to a DDE initiate".  Does anybody know what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Erik

• Re: Trouble connecting Chemstation B.04.03 to 6890N GC
          valentinrusu

Great first question! No, it's not supported on Windows 7 unless it's the 32-bit, Professional Edition, which is unlikely unless the PC was bought as part of a bundle from Agilent.

evdehse

Thanks for the quick response, valentinrusu.  Below is the system information.  It looks like it is the profession edition and it says 32-bit Operating System for the system type.  Would this version be compatable?

ryoboyle

Hello,

I added tags to this post to increase visibility.

If you are using build 16 of B.04.03 (you can determine this by going to Help>About and the build will be listed in brackets after the revision), then it is possible that the FetchCPVar error might be resolved by installing Driver Service Pack 1 for B.04.03. In the release build of B.04.03 you would sometimes receive the FetchCPVar error you are seeing if you have the sampling diagram displayed in ChemStation when using a 7683 series ALS.

If you do not already have access to the driver service pack, I recommend that you contact Agilent support (Contact Us | Agilent ) and request it. A temporary workaround to this error would be to remove the sampling diagram from your view preferences (uncheck the sampling diagram in the View dropdown).

Hopefully this helps.

evdehse

Thanks, ryoboyle.  It is build 16 of B.04.03.  It looked like the sample diagram was unchecked already so I tried checking it and unchecking it.  I was still getting the error so I will look into getting the Driver Service Pack 1.  It looks like the oven temperature is shown correctly in the "instrument actuals" window so there is so communication, however, the instrument doesn't respond to oven temperature changes made in the software.

ryoboyle

Besides the driver service pack and the sampling diagram, the only other thing I can think that might be causing this is a corrupt config.reg file. This file would typically be located at the following path: C:\Chem32\x\ where x is the instrument number. If you delete or rename your config.reg file with ChemStation closed and then launch an online session of your 6890 a new config.reg will be generated.

evdehse

Thanks, ryoboyle.  I renaming the original config.reg.file and opening Chemstation.  I am not seeing the  "Run-time error '282': No foreign application responded to a DDE initiate" error now but I am still seeing the "FetchCPVar cannot talk to application".  However, it does seem like the oven temp is responding to changes made in the software now.