6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2018 8:13 AM by jordsc

Mass Hunter error

lorier

I'm getting an error in Mass hunter Qualitative  :

Date and Time: 5/15/2018  2:02 PM

Program: Agilent MassHunter Workstation Software Qualitative Analysis B.07.00

Build Configuration: Release

Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stack Trace:    at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.QualForm.AssignBitmap(List`1 usefulAssemblies, List`1 usefulResourceManagers, DockableControlPane pane, String resourceName)

at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.QualForm.LoadAllBitmaps()

at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.QualForm.LoadQualWindowLayoutSettings(Boolean initializingProgram, Boolean forceRegisterForToolbarEvents)

at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.QualForm.LoadPresentationLayersAppSettings()

at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.QualForm.QualForm_OnLoad(Object sender, EventArgs e)

• Re: Mass Hunter error
          ryoboyle

Hello,

I added tags to this post to increase visibility.

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object" is a very common error message related to the Microsoft .NET Framework and can be triggered for all sorts of possible reasons. We would need more information before we being to troubleshoot this error.

When does this error occur? Is it when you try to perform a specific function/task in the software? How reproducible is the error?

ryoboyle

Since there has not been any activity on this post in quite some time, I have marked it as "Assumed Answered". Please let us know if you still require any further assistance and we can pick up from there.

jordsc

Hi ryoboyle,

I'm getting pretty much the same error message every time I launch the MassHunter software:

"Agilent MassHunter Workstation Software Qualitative Analysis encountered an error. The program will attempt to continue ignoring this error. However we recommend saving the data and restarting the program.

Error occured while creating a log file at C:\temp\AgtErrorLogs"

[Details]

Date and Time: 9/24/2018  8:37 PM

Program: Agilent MassHunter Workstation Software Qualitative Analysis B.07.00

Build Configuration: Release

Message: Could not find a part of the path 'c:\program files\agilent\masshunter\workstation\qual\b.07.00\configuration\B.07.00\QualWorkflowConfiguration.txt'.

Stack Trace:    at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.QualUtilities.ReadForInitialLoadWorkflow()

at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.QualForm.DetectAndLoadInitialWorkflow()

at Agilent.MassSpectrometry.DataAnalysis.Qualitative.QualForm.QualForm_OnLoad(Object sender, EventArgs e)

I'm just wondering whether I'd still be able to use the program, which I'll only need for around 2-3 months as part of my masters project, without the fear of all my work being deleted each and every time I close the program?

Thanks in advance.

ryoboyle

Hi jordsc,

This error message is pretty different the the one that was originally posted at the beginning of this thread.

It looks like Qual is attempting to find the QualWorkflowConfiguration.txt file at the wrong path (it is found at C:\MassHunter\configuration\B.07.00\, not C:\Program Files\Agilent\MassHunter\Workstation\Qual\B.07.00\configuration\B.07.00\ which does not even exist). It is possible that you might be able to fix this by running the Restore Qual Settings program found in the Agilent MassHunter Workstation folder on your desktop in the Qualitative Analysis B.07.00 Tool subfolder.

If running Restore Qual Settings does not resolve the error, then you will most likely be looking at needing to uninstall/reinstall the software.

1 person found this helpful
                      ryoboyle

Hi jordsc,

After asking around some, I found a colleague who had seen a similar error message in Qual B.07.00. While it is not certain what causes this error, a possible quick and easy fix is to add a *.txt file named QualWorkflowConfiguration.txt to the path identified in the error message. This *.txt file only needs to have the following text saved in it:

Workflow_GeneralSteps

It is suspected that this error is a symptom of the software not being installed with proper user permissions, i.e. not run as an administrator.

Beyond this, you can try running the Restore Qual Settings program I recommended in my previous reply. Or you can run a repair on the software from the Windows Control Panel. If you are still receiving the error messaged then, unfortunately, the only other recommendation would be to reinstall the software.

Hopefully this helps.