2 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2018 9:16 AM by jtaylor7

Dilution and Multiplier factors

jtaylor7

OpenLab CDS Rev. C.01.07.SR1 {113}

How are the Dilution and Multiplier columns in the sequence table meant to be used? If we dilute our sample in half prior to injection, do I put a 2 in the dilution cell or a 2 in the multiplier cell (to effectively double the response in calculations)? It's not clear from their definitions in the help menu.

Additionally, is it possible to reference an injection's dilution/multiplier factor in intelligent report formulas? I'm currently entering it manually.

• Re: Dilution and Multiplier factors
          ryoboyle

Hello,

I just added tags to this post to increase visibility.

The definitions for the Multiplier and Dilution Factor fields in the sequence table can be found in the OpenLAB ChemStation Reference to Operation Principles Guide: https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/usermanuals/public/CDS_CS-references.pdf . I have copied these definitions (found on page 84 of the linked manual) below:

You can see how the multipliers and dilution factors are used in more context later in the Quantification section of the Reference Manual. Below I have copied the equation used for calculating external standard results to illustrate how the multiplier and dilution factor are employed in this context.

Calling a multiplier or dilution factor on an Intelligent Report is not going to be that straight forwards as these values are not saved as compound specific fields. There are sample specific fields for Multipliers and Dilution Factors, but these will return an array of values as some software products allow for more than one multiplier and dilution factor per sequence line.

There are a couple possible workarounds for this issue. One that has worked for me in the past is to use the Val() function which should return the first reported dilution factor / multiplier (see below for example). I have not tested this extensively though, so cannot guarantee that it will work in every situation.

You could also add a compound custom field to your method that you could then use to input a value at acquisition to be called as a multiplier / dilution factor on your report. 

Hopefully this helps.