4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2018 5:06 AM by james_jenkins

Documentation for 7673A Controller Module

fomalhaut

I am trying to adapt a 7673A autosampler to an older HP G1800A GCD mass spec system.  It is an option for this instrument and should work with the right communication hardware but I don't have any installation info for it or manuals to describe the communication setup for the 7673 controller module with this instrument.  The sampler was originally installed on an HP 5890 gc and was controlled thru Inet using a 36?? model standalone integrator.  The Inet board is installed in the 7673A box and communicates with the HP GCD gc.  When I initiate a ms acquisition on the PC software using the AS option I get a communication error.  I suspect the communication error has to do with the ms not communicating with the 7673A controller.  The communication between the MS, PC and GC normally runs thru HPIB boards installed in each module.  There is no such board in the 7673A box.

• Re: Documentation for 7673A Controller Module
          james_jenkins

Hi fomalhaut,

I updated the tags on this post for better visibility . The combination you have will not work without the GPIB (HPIB) card in the 7673 controller box. The G1800A GCD only supported the use of GPIB. The Inet connection is there on the GC portion , but inet was meant for simple intergrator connections and not GCD control software or the GCD. As you can tell the GCD is a 5890 with a MSD attached on the side as one box. Very limited in options and features. I looked at the GCD product support plan and the 7673A was not a match to the GCD. The 7673B with GPIB was the supported workable configuration.

Its good to hear of one of these instruments still around as they introduction was in 1994. Unfortunately the instrument is well out of support with very little to no parts available. 

Regards

James

fomalhaut

Yes thank you for your prompt response.  this is the info I had been expecting however disappointing it is for my situation.  Yes this instrument has been a workhorse around here and I too am amazed it's held up so well.  Although I operate much newer instruments from Agilent, I like older equipment as well as it's much simpler to understand and maintain as long as we keep spares around.

I have an additional problem somewhat related to this one.  The original HPIB board in use for this GCD is an ISA card.  I have acquired a used PCI GPIB board by National Instruments which can be installed in this same old PC or an updated PC.  As I fear the PC will itself die soon leaving me without a usable HPIB pc interface, I want to try to get this PCI card to take it's place.  Do you think that is even possible?  I haven't yet tried it but have NI software for its operation which should run under Win95.

If you think I should post this as a separate question first please let me know.  I'm new to this process although I'm "old school".

james_jenkins

Perfectly ok to post in this thread. I have had customers try other GPIB boards and have seen a few from National Instruments. I do not recall any success stories with any cards other than the HP/Agilent cards. I have not personally configured one a third party one either, but perhaps someone else on the community has and can comment. While not supported, certainly to keep a reliable instrument working, I know exactly why you would want to explore doing this. We do have a PCI GPIB card, but I do not believe we have any drivers that support older operating systems. The earliest would be XP to my knowledge. Hopefully someone else can jump in here with information. Certainly, if you have success,please  keep us up to date.

Regards

James

james_jenkins

Hi fomalhaut,

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered”.  If you still need help though, please let us know and we would be happy to continue working with you. If the issue is resolved please feel free to update us or mark correct answer.

Regards

James