6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2017 7:23 AM by spacefish

chemstation not finding modules (lab advisor does find them)

bedford

Hi, everyone.  I am running Chemstation B.04.03 following a fresh installation after the computer died.  I have yet to get Chemstation software to find any modules.

I can ping the instrument's IP.  I can also interact with the modules via the Lab Advisor software. 

However, when I load Chemstation, it says that no modules can be found. I have tried reverting the firmware to older versions. It seems the only module able to change is the autosampler (this is where the LAN is connected). The others "timeout when going into resident mode." That being said, even when the autosampler does change its firmware successfully, it still doesn't show up in Chemstation.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

• Re: chemstation not finding modules (lab advisor does find them)
          valentinrusu

My first guess would be that you still have Lab Advisor running. ChemStation cannot connect to the stack properly if Lab Advisor is connected. I would recommend not only disconnecting the system in LA, but also turning off the program itself. If that doesn't work, try turning off and then restarting the PC, then connecting ChemStation. 

If that still doesn't work, please post the current firmware version of each module and also a screenshot of the instrument configuration screen in ChemStation. 

shayne_roix

B.04.03 had some Driver Service packs that updated the LC drivers.  This is similar to what you see in C version when there is a mismatch between the drivers and the modules.  Since you updated the FW, assuming its higher than the minimum required by the drivers.

The base version of B.04.03 was B.04.03[16] and I don't remember if the DSP adds to the build since it was a 'driver' release.  This was one of the first revisions that did this and the documentation is a little lean.

1 person found this helpful
                valentinrusu

The latest edition of Driver Service Pack (DSP) 1 increased the build to [54] and introduced support for the G1170A Universal Valve drive, RC.NET support for fraction collectors G1364A/B/C, and new features for GC instruments. Many LC driver packs released recently seem to require B.04.03 Service Pack 2, which would be build 105, so if you check Help > About in ChemStation, it would show B.04.03 SP2 [105]. In general, firmware should be backwards-compatible.

bedford, if you can post the firmware version of each module and a screenshot of the instrument configuration screen in ChemStation, we might be able to tell you more precisely what's going on.

ryoboyle

I just wanted to follow-up to see if the previous replies in this thread answered your question. If so, please come back to the post and click the "Correct Answer" button on the response that helped so it will make the solution more visible. If you still need help, just let us know and we would be happy to continue working with you.

I also updated the tags on this thread to make it easier to search.

ryoboyle

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post. If you still need help though, please let us know and we would be happy to continue working with you.

spacefish

If the modules go into "resident mode" (blinking red LEDs on the modules). The firmware versions of the modules on the instrument are probably incompatible with each other. "Resident" is a second system on the LC module which is booted if the main system hit´s an problem, like version incompatibility or firmware crashes.

Please ensure that the firmware flashed on the modules are all from the same "set" for example 05.x firmwares are not compatible with 06.x or 07.x..

The latest firmware version for B/C/D modules is 07.2x for A modules it´s 07.0x

Lab Advisor B.02.10 Firmware Update automatically offers you compatible sets, which are downloaded on the fly once you start the update:

Get the latest version of Agilent Lab Advisor here: http://labadvisor.pl29.agilent.com/latest

http://labadvisor.pl29.agilent.com/latest