7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2017 8:07 AM by james_jenkins

What is the difference b/w a GC-MS and Pesticide analyzer??

farrakh

We have an Agilent single quadropole GC-MS Pesticide analyzer. i was wondering what is the exact difference b/w a GC-MS and Pesticide analyzer?? is it simply a GC-MS with library of pesticides ?? and retention time locking system??

Moreover how many pre-configured, readily available  methods an analyzer generally have?? and are the methods configured with only one column????

• Re: What is the difference b/w a GC-MS and Pesticide analyzer??
          ruben.garnica

Hello Farrakh,

GC/MS Analyzers are factory configured and tested analytical systems built to perform a pre selected application.  They provide two main advantages to users: 1) they are ready-to-run nearly out of the box - no or little method development is necessary by the end user, and 2) the methodology is optimized, often by leading experts in the particular field - there is never a question of "am I getting the most from my instrument?" with GC/MS Analyzers.

In your example, you have a single quadruple GC/MS Pesticide analyzer which was designed for the analysis of pesticides.  There are many different types of GC/MS Analyzers which range from pesticides analysis for the Food and Environmental markets to drugs of abuse analysis for the Forensic market to arsine/phosphine for the Petrochemical market.  All GC/MS Analyzers come configured to run the application direct from the factory,  include the correct column, liners, and any backflush technology or GC detectors necessary.  Most come with expertly generated databases or libraries as  you mention above - nearly all with retention times to enable Retention Time Locking.  Each GC/MS Analyzer is checked using a checkout standard both at the factory and at the laboratory site to ensure performance.  In total Agilent offers 23 different GC/MS Analyzer configurations between single and triple quadruople.  If you would like more information on a particular application, let me know which area you are interested or contact your local Agilent representative.

This can be contrasted with a standard GC/MS order.  The end user gets the same fantastic technology, however in this situation must develop and implement the analytical method themselves.  Depending on the bandwidth, experience and skill of the analyst developing the method, this could be as fast as a few weeks or as long as six months.  Again, depending on the analyst's skill, the method may or may not be optimized correctly.

I hope this helps you understand the different between a GC/MS and a GC/MS Analyzer.

Yours,

Ruben Garnica

MS Solutions Product Manager

• Re: What is the difference b/w a GC-MS and Pesticide analyzer??
            james_jenkins

I went ahead and flagged the “Correct Answer” on this post.  If you still need help though, please let us know and we would be happy to continue working with you.