7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2017 7:41 AM by danots

What type of OpenLAB CDS Chemstation or EZChrom tutorial videos would you like to see on Agilent Community?

kim_barnes

I would like to know what types of Video tutorials or Instruction documents you would like to see on Agilent Community.  These can be for OpenLAB CDS Chemstation or OpenLAB CDS EZChrom. 

• Re: What type of OpenLAB CDS Chemstation or EZChrom tutorial videos would you like to see on Agilent Community?
          tmcewen

I would like to see a video on Internal Standard Calibration and Quantitation for OpenLAB EZChrom

• Re: What type of OpenLAB CDS Chemstation or EZChrom tutorial videos would you like to see on Agilent Community?
            a.balderrsu

I would be very interested on a tutorial for obtaining the parameters for system suitability such as tailing factor, plate numer, among others in a report format for OpenLAB Chemstation

valentinrusu

Hi Andrea, I hope I can provide some help.

In OpenLAB ChemStation (independent of which revision you have), you can obtain suitability results through either Classic Reporting or Intelligent Reporting. The former is the legacy reporting style that has a bit less flexibility than Intelligent Reporting but prevails in our new ChemStation revisions. For system suitability, I would say both are fairly easy to implement.

First, you would want to load your desired data result set (typically located in a subdirectory under \Chem32\[N]\Data\, where [N] is the instrument number, likely 1) and make sure the sequence method that's loaded is your preferred analysis method. Some of the suitability preferences you choose are method settings, so which method you load is important.

Classic Reporting

To see a Classic report featuring the types of parameters you're referring to, you could choose either Performance or Extended performance in the Report Style dropdown menu found in the Report > Specify Report window. If you want the report to identify which values exceed upper and lower limits that you define, you can use the Report > System Suitability > Edit Performance Limits dialog box. This is only used for Classic Reporting. Values calculated for a peak that fall outside the ranges defined in this dialog box are indicated in the report by:  > (Value exceeds upper limit) or <  (Value exceeds lower limit). These values are only calculated if you select a Performance report style in the Specify Report dialog box and generate a report. Below are your choices:

The Performance report displays results according to the limits specified in the Edit Performance Limits dialog box of the Report > System Suitability menu. For uncalibrated methods (i.e., methods without a calibration table), the report includes the peak number, retention/migration time, peak area, peak height, signal description, true half-height peak-width, symmetry, k', efficiency (plates) and resolution for each peak. For calibrated methods, the report also includes the compound name and compound amount; resolution uses the calculation stipulated by the EP, BP, JP and DAB for each peak.

The Extended Performance report displays an extended report with all the parameters from the peak performance calculations and individual plots of each peak. This report type includes only calibrated peaks. In addition to the parameters printed for the Performance report style, the start and end peak retention/migration times, skew, excess, peak width, USP tailing factor, time interval between data points, number of data points, statistical moments, plates, plates per meter, selectivity and resolution of each peak are displayed. The peak width, plates, plates per meter, selectivity, and resolution are calculated by the true half height, 5 sigma, tangent and tailing methods.

Intelligent Reporting

Intelligent reporting is a lot more flexible because one can much more easily modify, delete, or add elements in the report. The Performance.RDL, Performance+Noise.RDL, and ExtendedPerformance.RDL reports are located by default in \Chem32\REPSTYLE and selectable in the ChemStation software via Report > Specify Report. These reports also provide k', peak area, peak height, symmetry, peak width at half-height, number of plates, resolution, selectivity, and Signal-to-Noise (available in Performance+Noise.RDL).

Further discussion can be had about resolution calculations, Noise and Signal-to-Noise, and those subtleties are elaborated upon in the Help topics in ChemStation and in the Reference to Operation Principles manual on Disk 2 of OpenLAB ChemStation (it is a PDF called CDS_CS-references.pdf).

I hope this helps!

bspear

I would like a tutorial on Intelligent Reporting along with downloadable examples.  I have found it very difficult to find information on the topic of Intelligent Reporting.

kim_barnes

I am currently working on OpenLAB CDS Chemstation Intelligent Report videos.   I will be doing short segments on the following topics, creating a report, adding a chromatogram, adding and editing a table, custom calculations, and eliminating extra pages.  If you have other information you would like, please let me know.