Masshunter - Can you use another compound for calibration if you don't have a calibrator for the specific compound (As you would use another compounds internal standard for quantification)

Good day,

I have set up a new method with about 40 compounds. I have also setup  the quantification method in Masshunter Quant.

I have calibrators for all my compounds except for three of the compounds.

Is it possible to use one of the other compound's calibrators for these compounds - I have gone through all the settings in masshunter- but cannot find I place where such a setting can be made.

Best Regards,

Tania

• Hi Tania,

It is possible to apply the calibration curve from one compound to another. There are a couple ways of us to do it depending on your version.

The first way is to copy calibration levels from one compound to another. To do this, go into the Method Editor - Calibration Curve Setup. Left-click on a compound with a calibration curve to select the compound and then right-click to choose Copy Calibration Levels To. A window will open where you can select the compound(s) you would like to apply the calibration curve to. This approach cannot be used to copy ISTD, but the relative ISTD can be used instead. It's necessary to Quantitate, instead of Analyze, when presented the option.

If you have a newer version of MassHunter Quant, there is now an Advanced Method Task that makes this even easier. In the Method Editor -> Advanced Tasks -> Inherit Calibration Reference Setup, it's possible to select the compound from which to inherit the calibration curve in a drop down menu. You would then want to validate the method and save it. 

• Hi @Tania,

I just wanted to check in and see if my previous suggestion resolved the issue or if you needed further assistance. If my previous response resolved the issue, would you please mark it as a Verified Answer? If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

• Good Morning Britt,

Thank you so much for your help - I am so relieved that there is a way to do this.

Apologies for only getting back to you now - I was on leave. I am going to work on this today and will get back to you as soon as possible.

And then only marked the verified answer.

Best Regards,

Tania

• Hi

Thank you so very much for your assistance - your suggestion resolved my issue. 

Hope you have a great day! Thank you once again! 

• Hi Britt,

I was wondering if there is a way to use the second option (Inherit Calibration Reference Setup) while also normalizing the selected compound using an internal standard.

Whenever I try to select both an ISTD and a Calibration Reference Compound for the unknown compound I am trying to semi-quant, I get the Method Error "Target and ISTD calibration tables have different numbers of rows.

When using the Copy Calibration Levels To method, I am able to normalize the compound using an ISTD and semi-quant the compound using an external standard's calibration levels at the same time.

• Hi  

You can have both an ISTD and a Calibration Reference Compound during the Inherit Calibration Reference setup.  First, you will have to either manually enter or copy the concentration rows from another target that shares the ISTD, so that the number of calibration rows match. You can then assign the ISTD followed by the reference compound . You will still see the following validation message, but you can say yes to the prompt that occurs after Method Validation or when Applying the method. 

Was this helpful?