calibration compound amount calculation

Is it possible for the processing method to calculate the calibration compound amount if the analyst enters the sample amount, purity, and dilution factors in the injection list table, or does the calibration compound amount need to be entered in the compound amount column?

• Hi

I'm not sure that I understand the question, but I'll try to answer anyway

The amount of each level for calibration standards needs to be entered in the Calibration table in Data Analysis.  If you want to correct for purity of the standard, then you can use the multiplier column in the Calibration table too.

Sample Amount is not relevant for standards, since it primarily used for mass% calculations.

It IS possible to put the amounts of the standards in the Compound Amounts section below the sequence table in data acquisition.

Was that the question?  Is this the answer?

/Andy

• The question came up as a possible solution to not being able to use scientific notation.  Several of our methods use standard concentrations on the order of #.####e-7 to #.####e-8.  As I was training an analyst they raised the question with the theory that if we could enter the mass, purity, and dilution into OpenLab (all values would fall within the numeric precision limits) then OpenLab could perform the calculations internally and we could avoid the issue from not being able to use scientific notation.  From your response, it looks like this in not possible.

• This might not work for you, but would it not be possible to change the units of your calibrated amounts to avoid using scientific notation?  That way you could enter numbers X.XXXX for the e-7s and 0.XXXX for the e-8s.  Not sure that I've explained what I mean that well Slight smile

Thinking back on what you said.  I think you could find a way to do this in OpenLab.  Assuming that all of the standards are prepared in the same volume, then you could indeed use the mass as the amount at each level, and then correct the calculated concentrations using appropriate multipliers and dilution factors!

/Andy

Was this helpful?