New to calibration/batching OpenLAB CDS Chemstation v01.07 - LOTS of help needed

Let me begin by saying I am totally new to using the calibration tab in OpenLab software.  My lab currently uses a 1 point calibration curve and excel spreadsheets to manually process the data.  I am in the process of validating a 5 point calibration curve and would like to use the software instead of excel to do the calculations.

I've watched the video on creating a calibration curve with an internal standard and understand the concept of the calibration table.  However, the numbers I'm getting in the software do NOT match what I'm seeing on my excel spreadsheets and at times I'm unsure of where the numbers in OpenLab are even coming from.

I've tried looking for other videos/tutorials about how to proceed after a calibration table is established but can't find any information.  Are there any videos/tutorials on the next steps after a calibration curve is established?  I can set up the table, but then what?  How do I use it?

I am using an internal standard and running 6 calibrators in triplicate (1 point will eventually be dropped) along with 3 controls. 

1.  I need the software to ratio the std area and the IS area then average the ratios for the 3 runs.   How should set up my calibration table?  Should the first run be "replaced" or all 3 "averaged" for each level?   Once the calibration table is established, how do I check that the software is averaging the ratios?  

2.  How do I save the calibration curve from a particular day's runs?   How do I access it again w/o having to reapply all of the data files to the table?

3.  How does batching work?  How do I specify a particular calibration curve for the batch?  

4.  Do I need to specify in the sequence which samples are calibrators/controls?  Where is this information used?  

That's just the tip of the iceburg!   I have SO many questions.....and that's before I even get to reporting options.

Parents
  • Hi

1 and 4.  In the sequence table, calibration injections should be identified in the "Sample Type" column.  Against each standard, you can specify a level and what to do with the response factors from these calibration injections.  For each of the levels, you use Replace in the Update RF column.  This way, the calibration curve will be constructed using the replicate data from the standards in this sequence.

The calibration curve is stored in the Chemstation method.  When you run a sequence, Chemstation stores a copy of the method from the methods folder (this is a master method) and stores it with the data in the results folder (now you have a sequence method).  It is this sequence method that is updated with the calibration data from the injections in this sequence.

A typical sequence might look like this: (hope that you can see the image clearly enough)

If you already have data, you can always change the sample types and levels after acquisition, in the Data Analysis section of Chemstation.

If you want to apply the calibration data from this sequence to data files that are acquired in another sequence, then you need to "Update the Master Method" from the Method menu in Data Analysis.  This will copy all of the Data Analysis parameters from the currently-loaded sequence method to the master method, stored in the methods folder with the same name

3.  Batching is not necessary.  The result set acquired from a sequence contains a calibration from the standards within it.

Reporting... save that for another day!

/Andy

• Hi

1 and 4.  In the sequence table, calibration injections should be identified in the "Sample Type" column.  Against each standard, you can specify a level and what to do with the response factors from these calibration injections.  For each of the levels, you use Replace in the Update RF column.  This way, the calibration curve will be constructed using the replicate data from the standards in this sequence.

The calibration curve is stored in the Chemstation method.  When you run a sequence, Chemstation stores a copy of the method from the methods folder (this is a master method) and stores it with the data in the results folder (now you have a sequence method).  It is this sequence method that is updated with the calibration data from the injections in this sequence.

A typical sequence might look like this: (hope that you can see the image clearly enough)

If you already have data, you can always change the sample types and levels after acquisition, in the Data Analysis section of Chemstation.

If you want to apply the calibration data from this sequence to data files that are acquired in another sequence, then you need to "Update the Master Method" from the Method menu in Data Analysis.  This will copy all of the Data Analysis parameters from the currently-loaded sequence method to the master method, stored in the methods folder with the same name

3.  Batching is not necessary.  The result set acquired from a sequence contains a calibration from the standards within it.

Reporting... save that for another day!

/Andy

Children
  • Thank you for your response.

You said I should "replace" the value for each calibrator.  Is this correct, since I'm running in triplicate and want to average the ratios of the 3 runs?

As far as batching is concerned.  When do you use it?  I understand it's not needed to create a calibration curve, but how do I then process my samples using the calibration curve?

• Hi

Sorry, my mistake, I was thinking only about how I set up sequences with replicate standards and forgot the part after acquisition to get the averages. 

The first replicate of each standard should have Replace (to start the calibration with just this data), the subsequent replicates should have Average (to average across the three replicates).  I forgot that I set up sequences with replicates like this and then make the changes after acquisition.  If you set up the replicates on their own lines in the sequence table, you can do this up front.

If the samples follow the calibration curve in the same sequence, they will already be measured when you view them in Data Analysis.  You can then simply use the Review section in Chemstation to view the results using a specific Intelligent Report.

You should be able to find more information on the eFamiliarization disk that came with your software.  I've had a quick look on the Community to see if there are any video tutorials, but I didn't find anything.

/Andy

Was this helpful?