Pretreatment Method parameters in Empower

Dear All,

We are having issues with setting Pretreatment Method parameters in Empower 3 with ICF 3.0. When attempting to add the second needle wash, the chromatography shows absolutely no peaks (almost as if it is injection the wash solution instead of sample), and appears as a blank injection. As soon as I removed the wash and only have one time, the chromatography is as expected.

Has anybody experienced same?

Regards,

Weronika

• Hello Howard,

Sampler is G1329A.

What use to work was: in Empower 3 FR2 (I don’t know ICF version)

With the Empower 3 FR5 and ICF 3.0, the option for adding a second needle wash is hidden under ‘pre-treatment method’… however, it does not work. When attempting to add the second needle wash, the chromatography shows absolutely no peaks (almost as if it is injection the wash solution instead of sample), and appears as a blank injection. As soon as  the wash was removed and only have one time, the chromatography is as expected.

Regards,

Weronika

attachments.zip
  • Hi,

Thank you for prompt reply.

Yes first picture was referring to older version of Empower that was recently upgraded, and now we have Pretreatment Method tab available for Instrument Method Editor:

We will try out new solution that you provided.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Weronika

• Hello,

I added tags to this post to increase visibility. 

I am not personally familiar with Empower so I personally will not be of much help here. Hopefully some who does have experience using the ICF with Empower can chime in.

• Hi ,

Is this a pretreatment/injector program that has been used successfully on Agilent data systems? If you could provide the model number of your autosampler and the steps in your working program and the non working program we may be able to at least isolate to a possible ICF/Empower issue or an issue with the injector steps/program being used. 

This appears to be an older version of Empower, as newer versions using the latest ICF tend to have the Agilent style dialogs/GUI. 

But either way, on our LCs if a pretreatment method is specified it overrides all other injection steps. So you cannot simply add something that you want to happen during the normal series of injection steps. You must manually recreate all of the injection steps in the pretreatment. 

For example, if you want to make certain you rinse the needle before and after you draw from the sample you would need to create a program that looks something like this.

Your dialog will look different of course, but those options, or something like them should be present.

• Hi Howard,

The analyst created the following pretreatment method:

While it successfully performed the 2x needle wash with the sample injection, after the vial and needle were still in the wash position, and she had to manually shut-down the whole sample manager for the needle/arm to reset. Is there a way to home the sample arm and returning the wash vial?

Regards,

Kim

Was this helpful?