Masshunter quantification in post processing

Hello everyone.

from the masshunter software, how can I obtain the final concentration data, converting the data in ug / L to mg / kg considering the weight of the sample and the extraction volume?

I weigh the solid sample in the preparatory phase, and it would be convenient if the software could consider this in order to express the final data automatically.

• Hello ,

Quant has three different fields that can be used in creating a multiplier. The multiplier is used to convert the calculated concentration (column Calc. Calc.), which is the amount calculated from the calibration curve, to the final concentration (column Final Conc.). In your case it sounds like using Sample Amount and Total Sample Amount may be a good solution, but I will include a full description of all three fields for reference and to give a complete picture of how MassHunter creates the multiplier.

Multiplier

This column can be added in the Compound Method section of the batch table. It cannot be directly edited but displays the multiplier that has been calculated using Dilution, Sample Amount, and Total Sample Amount. 

Multiplier = (Total Sample Amount / Sample Amount) *Dilution

Final Concentration = Calculated Concentration * Multiplier

By default, Dilution (Dil.) has a value of 1. Sample Amount (Amt.) and Total Sample Amount (Tot. Amt.) do not have values and are not used in the calculation unless both have a value entered.

Dilution (Dil.)

The simplest case is to use only Dilution. The column is labeled Dil. and can be added in the Sample section of the batch table. If there is no Sample Amount or Total Sample Amount entered, then the multiplier is simply the Dilution

Multiplier = Dilution

Example:
       If the sample is diluted by a factor of 2, the Dilution Factor is 2. Hence, the Calculated Concentration is multiplied by 2 to adjust the Final Concentration.

Sample Amount (Amt.) and Total Sample Amount (Tot. Amt.)

The columns are labeled Amt. and Tot. Amt. and can be added in the Sample section of the batch table. For these to be used in the calculation of the multiplier, both must have a value entered. If Dilution is 1 (default), then the multiplier is simply

Multiplier = Total Sample Amount / Sample Amount

Example:

If a lab needs to report the total amount of a target compound present in a 100 g sample but only 20 g of the sample needs to be processed for analysis, they could enter 100 for Tot. Amt. and 20 for Amt. so that the Calculated Concentration is multiplied by 5 to adjust the Final Concentration. 

• I marked this post as assumed answered. Feel free to update us if this answered your question or post again if you have have any follow-up questions. 

Was this helpful?