How to enable post-run shutdown in OpenLAB CDS 2.2?

We've recently switched one of our HPLC systems from Chemstation to Openlab v2.2. I can't find the option to shut down/go to standby once all queued runs are completed, meaning the pump continues running until the low solvent trigger point is hit (which is a big waste of solvent!). I can't find any mention of it in the Help & Learning resources. I know on Chemstation the shutdown procedures were specified on the Sequence Parameters dialogue. What's the alternative for OpenLab v2.2?

Thanks in advance!

• In Open LAB CDS 2.2 you have to create a Shutdown method and add in sequence no other option. In the CDS 2.3 you can load shutdown method seperately

• If your doing batch injections then chauhan suggestion of adding it to the sequence is the simplest way to achieve a shutdown method. 

In our lab (20+ GCs) we do single injections and rarely do sequences.  I could have added a post run macro to the method to change it to a standby/shutdown method but then I would have to add that to every method runtime list.  Instead I added a macro to run when the instrument is loaded and will change the GC to a standby method after a certain amount of time.  I'm not sure if this is a good solution but it seams to work well in our lab. Below is the attached macro.

Hope this helps someone.

NAME STANDBYCHECK
    COUNTER = TIME()

IF _OFFLINE = 0 THEN
      WHILE 1=1        !---STAY IN LOOP FOREVER
       IF _methfile$ <> "STANDBY.M" THEN
        IF _RUNIDLEMANAGER = 1 THEN    !---_RUNSTARTED IS A CHEMSTATION VARIABLE ONLY
               !---_RUNIDLEMANAGER IS OPENLAB 
         If (TIME() - COUNTER) > 6300   !---IDLE FOR 105 MINUTES
          _METHODCHANGED = 0   !---so it wont ask to save changes
          LoadMethod _methpath$,"STANDBY.M"
          COUNTER = TIME()   !----Reset counter when standby method gets loaded
         ENDIF     
        ELSE       !----if someone is trying to use the software but not running a sample in online mode.
         COUNTER = TIME()    !----RESET TIMER
        ENDIF
       ELSE
        COUNTER = TIME()
       ENDIF

SLEEP 120 !---WAIT 120 SECONDS
      ENDWHILE
    ENDIF

ENDMACRO

CpStart STANDBYCHECKCP    !----INITIATE SEPERATE PROCESS
    CpRequest STANDBYCHECKCP, "STANDBYCHECK" !----RUN MACRO IN SEPERATE PROCESS

• ...You can also set a parameter in the OpenLab control panel to switch of detector lamps after the run queue has completed all samples, since this cannot be achieved directly in a method.

Cheers

Andy

• Yes You can do that but this will not shutdown the Pump and the thermostat

• You're right, it only shuts down the detector.  In your answer above, you mention creating a shutdown method, which is what you would need to do, in addition to changing the Instrument Options, otherwise the detector lamp will remain on.

What I have done in OpenLab 2.2 is to create a method called shutdown, which has no flow from the pump and no temperature control on the column thermostat.  I then either add this to the end of the sample queue as a single sample (Instrument Blank as the Injection Source) or create a separate sequence with one injection using the same method to do the same thing.  I normally end up doing this as a sequence, and include a column wash or column storage method as well.  Keeping the wash/store/off methods in a separate sequence means that, when it comes to data processing, I don't have odd results with no peaks and different run times to exclude from reports!

Was this helpful?