What is the future for Openlab Chemstation?

We have a new 8860 GC with Openlab CDS (VL) vs 2.3 software. This software does not have the functionality of Chemstation A.10.02 that we use on our 6890 GC. What is the future for Openlab Chemstation, someone showed it to me and it looked like it works similar to the old Chemstation with the same functionality. I was however advised that Openlab Chemstation is not available to new users anymore and that it is being phased out, what would your comments be on this? The Openlab CDS is a lot more difficult to work with, takes longer for results to be generated and the calibration functions I need is not available.

We have about 40 components in one calibration but the compounds are in 3 separate mixtures. With Openlab you cannot have different mixture for one calibration, for Chemstation you can. With Openlab we have to use 3 processing methods for each run, then type in all results in the order they should be in.  For me it is a huge step backwards to go from Chemstation to OpenLab CDS. I need some independent advice please.

Parents
  • Good morning,

What is the difference between OpenLab Chemstation and Chemstation? Do you still get Chemstation and what is its future? I managed to persuade our Agilent agent to at least give me a quote for OpenLab Chemstation. As it is quite expensive I want to be sure it would work for me. If I use Chemstation I know it would work, because it is what I am using.

I tried the calibration method you suggested but it did not work. I was only allowed in the Lab for a short period and want to try it again when I have more time in the Lab. The compounds were in 2 mixtures and were run in two sequences, I maned the first compounds level 1 to 6 and the second ones level 7 to 12. It does the one set of levels correctly and does not calibrate the other set correctly.

Regards,

Zeláni

• Good morning,

What is the difference between OpenLab Chemstation and Chemstation? Do you still get Chemstation and what is its future? I managed to persuade our Agilent agent to at least give me a quote for OpenLab Chemstation. As it is quite expensive I want to be sure it would work for me. If I use Chemstation I know it would work, because it is what I am using.

I tried the calibration method you suggested but it did not work. I was only allowed in the Lab for a short period and want to try it again when I have more time in the Lab. The compounds were in 2 mixtures and were run in two sequences, I maned the first compounds level 1 to 6 and the second ones level 7 to 12. It does the one set of levels correctly and does not calibrate the other set correctly.

Regards,

Zeláni

Children
  • I believe the issue is that you made 2 sequences. What ryoboyle meant (I believe) is to create 1 sequence and assign the different calibration level that way. 

As far as the difference, Openlab CDS Chemstation is the latest Chemstation product. It is part of the big banner Openlab CDS which includes Openlab CDS Chemstation, Openlab CDS 2 and Openlab CDS EZ Chrom. That version of chemstation is still being sold. Normally when we refer to Chemstation alone, we mean version A and B of chemstation which are somewhat still supported by best effort in some area, while other is just not supported. It is a much older version of Chemstation which I believe is not sold anymore.

hope this helps

• Hello,

The issue is because the processing methods are stored with the data set you ended up with 3 copies of the method one in each data set and the master method. You need the master method to reflect both data set methods. The easiest way is to run all your standards in one sequence and then when done update the master method. Since you did not do that in this case then you could create a combined result set from the 2 sequences by using the create new result set option in DA processing and then use a similar workflow. The last option would be to work through the master method by processing one data set and updating the master method. You would then need to link that master method into the second result set and process the second set of standards making sure not to clear any of the previously calibrated levels(i.e. do not use clear all calibration levels). Once the full curve was built you could update the fully calibrated method to the master method to use in new sequences or existing data sets.

Marty Adams

• Hello,

Thank you, this is very helpful.

Regards

Zeláni

Was this helpful?