What is the future for Openlab Chemstation?

We have a new 8860 GC with Openlab CDS (VL) vs 2.3 software. This software does not have the functionality of Chemstation A.10.02 that we use on our 6890 GC. What is the future for Openlab Chemstation, someone showed it to me and it looked like it works similar to the old Chemstation with the same functionality. I was however advised that Openlab Chemstation is not available to new users anymore and that it is being phased out, what would your comments be on this? The Openlab CDS is a lot more difficult to work with, takes longer for results to be generated and the calibration functions I need is not available.

We have about 40 components in one calibration but the compounds are in 3 separate mixtures. With Openlab you cannot have different mixture for one calibration, for Chemstation you can. With Openlab we have to use 3 processing methods for each run, then type in all results in the order they should be in.  For me it is a huge step backwards to go from Chemstation to OpenLab CDS. I need some independent advice please.

Parents
  • Regarding the calibration using different mixtures and such.

The answers so far mention how to use calibration levels to achieve what you want. Another option, we currently use, is modifying the compound amounts directly in the sequence. This can be done as the sequence is created in the Acquisition software, or in the Data Analysis application in the "Injection list".

In the Acquisition application, simply select your "Cal. Std." row, and then below change the tab to "Compound Amounts". You need to select a Process method, otherwise the software have no clue what compounds are in the method.

In the Data Analysis application, click in the column "Compound Amount" for a calibration standard row. This opens a secondary window inside the "Injection List" window.

The benefits of this approach is the compound amounts are handled per sample, which I find more straight forward than the compound amounts per level assigned to samples. It also allows you to modify the compound amounts without having to modify the processing method, which can be beneficial if you're often correcting amounts prior to calibration. The two options are not exclusive and can be mixed, with the "Amount in sample" overruling the "Amount in method". The downside is when you have multiple calibration standards at each level, then you need to ensure each is correctly filled out, rather than just the level assignment being correct.

The "Import Sequence from CSV or TSV" unfortunately does not support this feature, however, copying rows are handled correctly. More advanced, this feature is nicely implemented in the OpenLab SDK. This allows us to fully build our sequences with LIMS values directly, even calibration standards, which was a thing we never got around to using ChemStation.

• We invested in OpenLab Chemstation after struggling for a year, it is a lot more expensive than OpenLab CDS but worth is. Please do not discontinue the Chemstation, for me there is no comparison.Nerd

Reply Children
No Data
Was this helpful?