Cary Eclipse Low Level Uranium Application

Hello all.  I am new to this forum.  i have been using an Agilent 7500 and 7800 mass spec for years and recently purchased a Cary Eclipse.  

The purpose of the Cary is to analyze low level (ppm and ppb levels) of uranium in our waste stream processes.  We currently use our 7800 for this, but have an old ChemChek phosphorescence instrument we use as well.  I replaced that with the Cary to opt for a better company, software and the use of fluorescence.

However, I am having issues with the application.  I am not sure if it is something in the software or my prep that is incorrect.  I tried complexing with NaF, and at different concentrations of a uranium standard i am getting lower than blank results and all concentrations are the same and negative.  Its like it isn't fluorescencing and giving me nothing.  

I found some literature where someone had fluorescence uranium by using phosphoric acid as a complexant.  I tried that and had the same results as I did with the NaF.

I even tried the standards themselves with no complexant and it too was giving me nothing.

Any literature, or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Krista

Parents
  • Hi Krista,

One approach that you might try is to do a simple experiment with something like quinine which is found in tonic water at levels up to 80 ppm to get yourself more familiar with the new instrument you have. By trying something simple that doesn't require a complexation reaction, you can learn more about how to get results from the Cary Eclipse with a simple sample. There is a lot of information in the literature about the fluorescence of quinine. In fact quinine is commonly used as the analyte when quoting things like instrument detection limit and if I remember correctly there is a routine built into the software that allows you to do this.
    Kevin

• Hi Krista,

One approach that you might try is to do a simple experiment with something like quinine which is found in tonic water at levels up to 80 ppm to get yourself more familiar with the new instrument you have. By trying something simple that doesn't require a complexation reaction, you can learn more about how to get results from the Cary Eclipse with a simple sample. There is a lot of information in the literature about the fluorescence of quinine. In fact quinine is commonly used as the analyte when quoting things like instrument detection limit and if I remember correctly there is a routine built into the software that allows you to do this.
    Kevin

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?