Problem with Autosampler and Empower 3

Hi @all,

we have some problems with our Agilent LC's which are controlled by Empower 3.

At 2 systems the autosampler (G1313A and G1329B) is going offline during analysis. This is not reproducable. Sometimes it happens after 5 minutes, sometimes the system is running 20 hours.

In LabAdvisor there is no error message at the AS. Only the other modules state "module gone during analysis (EE71,0)". The module is on, the lamp is green. In Empower, it is marked as offline.

We have changed all CAN cables. We have updated the FW to A07.02. We use the newest Empower driver (ICF V3.5). 

In the control panel the module is grey and the message states "communication error"

Is someone her which has same problems?

Kind regards

Andreas

• Hi 

As mentioned error code EE71,0 IS CAN cable error and as you have changed the CAN cable and updated firmware may be some modules main board issue 

Kindly check below 

• Hi Andreas,
    we have a similar problem with two of our LCs, the same Modules that you mentioned.

This problem showed since updating to ICF-Support 3.5 including ICF 3.0 Update 2. I tried to reinstall the ICF-Support, but without any success.

After some research I found this known problem report.

https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/support/Patches/SSBs/Agilent_Instrument_Control_Framework_(ICF).html

So, the only fix will be provided with ICF 3.1, which is not yet available.

Kind regards

Sven

• Hi Sven,

thanks for the reply. We have had a conversation with Waters and they statet the same as you. Theres a bug in the Agilent driver which causes this problem.

We have a workaround tested which works until the new driver will be released. The problem occurs only when a user is connected to several instruments (here only sometimes and not reproducable) or another user connects to a system where user 1 is already connected (reproducable). If this happens the autosampler is going offline during the next injection. We have this problem only with the G131A and G1329A/B. G7129A/B are working fine.  

can you tell me where to find the actual ICF version at the Agilent HP? I cant find a page where i can find out which version is actual. Does somebody know when the ne ICF will be released? Waters is talking about January 2022.

Kind regards

Andreas

• Hi Andreas,

thanks for sharing your workaround. 

I found information about the ICF provided by Agilent on this Homepage Instrument Control Framework (ICF) | Agilent. Unfortunately, the as current stated release notes are more than outdated. Only the Software Status Bulletin seems to be up to date. Anyway, the new ICF version might not fix this problem. You probably must wait until Waters releases their ICF-Support to get the newest ICF linked to Empower

Kind regards

Sven

• Hi Sven,

you're welcome.

We will start with the workaround today. The users are now not allowed to connect to an Agilent system when another user is connected to it. User 1 has to leave the system before user 2 can connect to it.

The users are also not allowed to have multiple system open. If they have to start analysis on differnt systems they have to strat it on system 1 and disconnect from it before connecting to system 2 to start the next analysis.

Hope this will work until a bugfix is released.

Kind regards

Andreas

Was this helpful?