Preventing clogs

Hi Everyone,

I am running a buffer composed of 25mM Tris, 1mM EDTA, 1M NaCl, pH 8.0 through an 1260 Infinity 2 Quaternary System for single strand DNA purification. The column is anion exchange from waters. What can I use to make sure the salts don't clog the instrument?

-Thank you

Parents
  • Hello faraday,

I would monitor my pressure daily or more often if I am concern it can clog the system. That way if I start seeing the pressure go up, then I know something might be clogging and I need to be concerned.

I would also be more precautious and probably would run water flush through the system at the end of a day. So if I make a long sequence at the beginning of the day, I would make sure that at the end of the day , I flush with water to not let buffer in my system for too long. 

Also before using anything as a mobile phase, if you are going to mix your mobile phase with another solvent such as ACN or MeOH, I would fill a beaker with my solvent composition to be sure that salt does not precipitate out immediately. Ex: if I am to go 50% buffer and 50% ACN. I would fill a beaker with 50%buffer and 50% ACN and see if it mixes well and if salt precipitates out quickly or not. if you are using 100% buffer, just make sure salt does not precipitate out too easily and refer to my other 2 suggestions.

• Hello faraday,

I would monitor my pressure daily or more often if I am concern it can clog the system. That way if I start seeing the pressure go up, then I know something might be clogging and I need to be concerned.

I would also be more precautious and probably would run water flush through the system at the end of a day. So if I make a long sequence at the beginning of the day, I would make sure that at the end of the day , I flush with water to not let buffer in my system for too long. 

Also before using anything as a mobile phase, if you are going to mix your mobile phase with another solvent such as ACN or MeOH, I would fill a beaker with my solvent composition to be sure that salt does not precipitate out immediately. Ex: if I am to go 50% buffer and 50% ACN. I would fill a beaker with 50%buffer and 50% ACN and see if it mixes well and if salt precipitates out quickly or not. if you are using 100% buffer, just make sure salt does not precipitate out too easily and refer to my other 2 suggestions.

Children
Was this helpful?