Could this situation be an interaction between stationary phase and excipient?

Could this situation be an interaction between stationary phase and excipient?

Currently running 6 formulations that contain combinations of HPMC-AS and PVP-VA64 (or Kollidon VA64). Using an Agilent Infinitylab Poroshell 120 Bonus RP (P/N 695968-901) column (4.6 x 100mm; 2.7um particle size). Noticed that the retention time of the NCE in my standards have shifted after I ran 6 formulations. Can the combination of HPMC-AS, and or Kollidon VA64 being deposited on the head of my HPLC column be causing the retention time of my active to shift? Note, I am not using a pre-column.

Parents
  • Hi

More questions than answers...

Is your method isocratic or gradient?  What is the magnitude and direction is the retention time shifted?  Do the retention times return to their original values after flushing or cleaning the column?

Kind regards

Andy

• Andy 

I'm running a 15 min gradient, the retention times are shifting later ~1.5 min.  The relative retention times of related impurity peaks are similar when active peak has shifted retention time.  Do flush and store column with 50% acetonitrile in water at end of analysis.  Retention Times do look to return to original values after flushing column

• Hi 

Thanks for the information.

It could be that the excipients are causing the shift in retention time, with your NCE being retained by one or both of these materials (I don't know the chemical nature of these two compounds) that is being retained by the column.  I would try to increase the percentage organic at the end of the gradient, and maybe use an extended hold at this high organic percentage, to see if this makes a difference.

Does the NCE peak move a small amount after each injection?  Do they reach a steady state when they no longer move?  I assume that the NCE, in the absence of the excipients doesn't change retention time with repeated injection.

Kind regards

Andy

• Hi 

Thanks for the information.

It could be that the excipients are causing the shift in retention time, with your NCE being retained by one or both of these materials (I don't know the chemical nature of these two compounds) that is being retained by the column.  I would try to increase the percentage organic at the end of the gradient, and maybe use an extended hold at this high organic percentage, to see if this makes a difference.

Does the NCE peak move a small amount after each injection?  Do they reach a steady state when they no longer move?  I assume that the NCE, in the absence of the excipients doesn't change retention time with repeated injection.

Kind regards

Andy

Children
Was this helpful?