Agilent 1100 pressure fluctuations only when using a mixture of solvents

Hi everyone,

I have been pressure fluctuations when mixing two solvents.  If either solvent is used 100%, I have no issues.  As soon as I attempt to use the system to automatically mix solvents, I experience pressure fluctuations. I am under the impression that this is the MCGV.  Is that correct?  Is there anything I can do, or is it a matter of replacing it?

Thanks,

Joel

Parents
  • Hi,

It's not likely due to the MCGV.  When you are flowing 100% from each channel, you said there is no issue.  If it was the MCGV solenoid sticking or impeding the solvent flow somehow, you would experience pressure fluctuation.  It also cannot be due to the check valve or anything on the pump head as that is common to both channels.  What solvents were you trying to mix together?  Was it water and methanol?  That combination is exothermic and will outgas if there is no online degasser present.  

• Hi,

It's not likely due to the MCGV.  When you are flowing 100% from each channel, you said there is no issue.  If it was the MCGV solenoid sticking or impeding the solvent flow somehow, you would experience pressure fluctuation.  It also cannot be due to the check valve or anything on the pump head as that is common to both channels.  What solvents were you trying to mix together?  Was it water and methanol?  That combination is exothermic and will outgas if there is no online degasser present.  

Children
Was this helpful?